+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

P.Eng. License Application from Overseas...plz Help!

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
Dear All,
I am a chemical engineer with Master's degree and 9 years of relevant experience at a renowned chemical company. I have completed my short landing recently and currently looking for a job from overseas (not in Canada anymore). To work in Canada, I have been told I need to apply for the P. Eng. license or work under the supervision of another engineer. As I think Alberta has more chemical related jobs, I am thinking about applying for APEGA P.Eng. License.
1. The license process involves some exams (below) for which I will need to fly to Canada frequently which makes it difficult. Does anyone have the experience of acquiring a license from overseas?
1.1. Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) : Not sure if I will be asked to appear, this exam can be written only in the US or Canada.
1.2. National Professional Practice Exam (NPPE) : This exam either I take in Canada or if I appear from overseas, need to have a physical proctor who must be a professional member of a Canadian or US jurisdiction (which is impossible to get where I live!)
1.3 Technical Exams: Note sure if I need to appear, but these are offered only in Canada which makes it difficult for me to write them.
2. Should I just apply for jobs without any license and start working under the supervision of a P.Eng. license holder for the time being and apply for license later from Canada? Is it realistic to get a job without any license? If yes, the only drawback I can think of is that I will not get the proper designation or maybe a lesser salary, but then it will be only for a short while till I get my P.Eng. license.
3. I don't think that with 9 years of experience, I need to apply for EIT license. Also, I guess APEGS and PEO are also similar with the exam requirements so no particular advantage of applying for them compared to APEGA. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Kalsiharjot

Star Member
Dec 30, 2016
One can apply from abroad, you have to provide them all necessary documents over email and your landing documents. Then it will be free for you.
Read your job description before applying to jobs, because they sometimes demand for a license.
You can write technical exams outside of Canada also.
Canadians only accept their study, their experience.
If you are in their country, you gotta follow their system. Simple as that.