+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Our Daughter's Status in Canada

neha123

Feb 25, 2008
We are landed immigrants from US. We moved to Canada about 7 months back. Our daughter is a US citizen. She was born after we our Permanent Residency was approved.

We have applied for our daughter's Permanent Residency immediately after we moved here. Her application is in process in Buuffalo.

Will it be a problem for our daugher to stay here on her US passport while her application is in process in Buffalo?

Your advice is highly appreciated.

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
US citizens do not require a formal visa. Generally speaking, a US citizen can enter canada with a passport that serves as a visitor visa for 6 months at a time. Sometimes longer. Check with CIC.

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
The law has changed I believe a visa is now required to enter canada and visa versa..I haven't checked it out yet but it would be wise to do so.

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
You need a visa for your daughter before applying for her. otherwise entry might be restricted i.e. at a certain point one will have to stay out of country with the baby while sponsorship is in process as the 6 months visa might not be extended . i think not quite sure.