+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opening a new US bank account as Canadian PR

owleroz

Feb 22, 2018
I need a US account to set up direct deposit for my tax refunds (IRS). Are there any US banks that will let me open a bank account as a non-resident ? My existing bank in the US is HSBC and they are winding down operations in the US and may close my account soon.

I moved to Canada from USA and no longer have a US address. My H1-B visa is not valid anymore but I have a US SSN and credit history.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
you can try opening account in online bank like Discover giving any of your friend's address. I believe it should work..

owleroz

Feb 22, 2018
you can try opening account in online bank like Discover giving any of your friend's address. I believe it should work..
Thanks. I have considered that option and I am trying to find out if I can use my Canadian address and not worry about KYC challenges down the line. Just trying to find out if any US banks would permit account opening with US SSN and Canadian address.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Thanks. I have considered that option and I am trying to find out if I can use my Canadian address and not worry about KYC challenges down the line. Just trying to find out if any US banks would permit account opening with US SSN and Canadian address.
You can definitely change to Canadian address after few months of opening. I don't think they will let you open with Canadian address.

Reactions: owleroz