+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario Driver's License Exchange with a NJ Driver's License

jikkumohan

Jul 2, 2021
I am yet to make the move to Canada. However I followed all the steps suggested by Deena.passion and I received all the documents from NJ DMV with no issues. Hope that helps.

Akki99

Jul 22, 2020
Hi All,

First I would like to say thank you all for sharing information and helping others.

• I am filling DO-11 form, I see only three options under the records requested section, can someone please guide me what should I choose first license and renewals. Looks like the DO-11 form has been changed recently. Shall choose option 1 for both first license and renewals.
  1. Copy of Driver License Application (Includes issue date of driver license and name and address of driver; some information is purged, as required by law. MVC will give oldest available)
  2. Name and Address of Driver
  3. Address History of Driver
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/license/DO-11.pdf

• Also, what should I fill in the Your File or Claim # field ?
  • can I exchange the recently expired license as well in Ontario or it has to be unexpired? My NJ license will expire on 2/15/2022 and I am planning to move to Toronto first week of February 2022 so if just in case I am not able to exchange before expiry, will I be able to exchange post-NJ license expiry

Thank you in advance.

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Hi All,

First I would like to say thank you all for sharing information and helping others.

• I am filling DO-11 form, I see only three options under the records requested section, can someone please guide me what should I choose first license and renewals. Looks like the DO-11 form has been changed recently. Shall choose option 1 for both first license and renewals.
  1. Copy of Driver License Application (Includes issue date of driver license and name and address of driver; some information is purged, as required by law. MVC will give oldest available)
  2. Name and Address of Driver
  3. Address History of Driver
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/license/DO-11.pdf

• Also, what should I fill in the Your File or Claim # field ?
  • can I exchange the recently expired license as well in Ontario or it has to be unexpired? My NJ license will expire on 2/15/2022 and I am planning to move to Toronto first week of February 2022 so if just in case I am not able to exchange before expiry, will I be able to exchange post-NJ license expiry

Thank you in advance.
This form has changed a little bit since I last submitted it in August.
I needed issue date of first license to get better insurance rate here.

I selected issue date of driver option for my first license but I just got the copy of driver license application, so I think they just removed the redundant option as all they give is copy of driver application with a transaction record containing issue and expiry date.

you can choose option 1 for both first license and renewals.
You can leave the file or Claim # field blank.

I'm not sure if you can exchange the NJ license after expiry.