+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP for Open work permit

raza19

Dec 30, 2008
I have finished my studies here in Canada and right now I have Open work permit for 3 years and i am working in an IT company in Toronto. I heard i am not eligible for applying health card can any one tell me why i am not eligible and if i am not eligible then what should I do for my medical coverage.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ontario has a thing about people on open work permits. They like your work permit to be tied to an ON employer. Most other provinces would give you coverage. You have to ask OHIP what they require, maybe change your open work permit to a closed one if that is possible. Other than that, get private insurance.

maychel

Apr 3, 2012
RE: Open work permit

HI GUY'S,

I HAVE A FEW QUESTION REGARDING TO MY SITUATION ON MY OPEN WORK PERMIT. I GOT THIS OPEN WORK PERMIT AT DIFFERENT EMPLOYER CAUSE I GOT A FILE NUMBER FOR MY PERMANENT RESIDENCE. NOW THIS OPEN WORK PERMIT SOON TO BE EXPIRED NEXT YEAR 2015 OF JANUARY. ITS POSSIBLE TO RE-APPLY MY OPEN WORK PERMIT? EVEN THOUGH MY APPLICATION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE IS REFUSED? WHEN I APPLY FOR OPEN WORK PERMIT I WAS A 1ST COOK AND I MOVED TO DIFFERENT EMPLOYER AS A KITCHEN MANAGER. WHAT IS THE BEST THING I CAN DO TO RE-APPLY MY OPEN WORK PERMIT? DO I NEED A NEW LMO OR I CAN USE MY POSITION TO RE-APPLY FOR OPEN WORK PERMIT I NEED HELP PLEASE THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS.

MAYCHEL

PF

Star Member
Sep 1, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/09/2014
Med's Done....
26/07/2014
Passport Req..
17/11/2014
raza19 said:
I have finished my studies here in Canada and right now I have Open work permit for 3 years and i am working in an IT company in Toronto. I heard i am not eligible for applying health card can any one tell me why i am not eligible and if i am not eligible then what should I do for my medical coverage.
I am on a PGWP and I have OHIP. You will need a letter from your employer stating that you will be working for at least 6 months. Once you apply you will have to wait 3 months for your OHIP card to arrive.

open work permit holders (including those in CIC's Post-Graduation Work Permit Program) may be eligible for Ontario health insurance coverage provided they are employed full-time for an employer in Ontario for a minimum of six months, have a valid work permit during this time, and they:

- maintain their primary place of residence in Ontario; and are
- physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period; and are
- physically present in Ontario for 153 of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Well, as it is mentioned, you will need a couple of documents as well as fulfill some requirements such as have a full-time job for at least 6 month in advance to become eligible for OHIP.

In the meantime, the only option you have being uninsured under the provincial health plan is to get a private one for Visitor's to Canada as you are also not eligible for a regular health plan that even private Canadian insurers offer as they require you to have OHIP,MSP, etc.

You want to browse through and compare the quotes for medical emergency insurance while you will be gathering you docs.

LNAdrien06

Mar 4, 2016
HI guys, are they going to call your employer in this 6 months mentioned in the letter? What if I changed the job?