+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oh oh - what do we do with our baby?!

ludnan

Jul 30, 2008
Thanks to people here, I now understand that my husband can fly on his own to land in Canada prior to our actually moving there. But... He's going to fly in October to land in Toronto and will have his PR card sent to my parents in BC. Here's my concern...

He lands in Canada in October and has no dependents, just me, his spouse. We move there in April 2010 with a small offspring - does that invalidate all his documents that said he had no dependents? What do we do to declare the offspring, if that is required?

Many thanks,
A

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
If I understand correctly, then your baby is not born yet. In that case, it's no problem, he can't declare someone who isn't born yet and he doesn't need to "declare" him or her after she's born or anything like that. Just make sure you will have the proper travel documents for him or her when you travel to Canada. Btw, congratulations! :)
Are you a Canadian citizen? I'm not sure what happens with the status of children of two PRs >_>

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
OK, since you are a Canadian citizen, your child will be a Canadian citizen (actually a dual US/Canadian citizen) - whether born in the States or in Canada. If the child is born in the States (which it sounds like s/he will be), you're going to need to get him/her a citizenship certificate so that s/he can come to Canada with you in April. If your child is born in Canada - even before your husband lands - he won't technically have to "declare" the birth at landing . . . but whether born in the States or in Canada, it will be okay to say, when they ask, that he has had a Canadian citizen child just born.

The whole reason behind declaring any new dependents not included on the PR application is because any family member not declared on landing who might need to be sponsored for permanent status at a later date needs to be declared before the immigrant lands, or they are forever barred from sponsoring them. In other words, they don't like immigrants to "hide" family members that might make them inadmissible. But a child born to you (a Canadian citizen) and your husband will not ever need to be sponsored for permanent status - so although you are going to have dealings with bringing the child into Canada (the need for the citizenship certificate), your husband is not under any obligation to "report" the birth at his landing. But there's no harm is disclosing it either - as long as the IO is clear about the fact that this is a Canadian citizen child and not in need of future sponsorship.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
From what I read, her husband is a British citizen and they're in the UK, so the baby won't be a US citizen. But yeah, everything else applies.

ludnan

Jul 30, 2008
Thank you both. That's a relief, I had hoped to be able to keep the child. ;-)

Mitamata is correct, we are in the UK. He's a Brit citizen and I'm a Canadian citizen with Right of Abode in the UK. So we need to get a Citizenship Certificate for the small one. AGH, more forms!! Does anyone know how long it takes to get one processed?

Many thanks,
A

ludnan

Jul 30, 2008
Okay. Just read a few more threads on here. Sounds like it can take 11 months to get a Citizenship Certificate when you are outside of Canada. That will mess up our plans entirely as the babe will be only 4 months old when we would like to move to Canada. So...

1) Given that the baby will derive citizenship from me, do we HAVE to have proof of citizenship for it to enter the country? Will a British birth certificate or passport not provide enough proof that the baby is mine and therefore Canadian?

2) Is there another temporary way to prove baby's citizenship while the Certificate is being processed so we can all enter the country together?

Cheers,
A

ange

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
I have twins and will be arriving in Canada with them together with my husband. I am CDN, he's Dutch. I applied for CDN citizenship for them but it takes up to a year here in Holland too. So I have a letter from the CDN embassy stating that Canadian citizenship has been applied for and that current waiting times are a year. That will (apparently) be sufficient. On top of that, I'm applying for temporary Canadian passports for the babies. I haven't even applied for Dutch passports for them. I'm hoping to minimize confusion that way. Only the Canadian passports can only be applied for when you have a travel itinerary. We don't have that yet so the only thing I'm including in the package is the letter from the embassy, their birth certificates, which states that I am Canadian, and a letter from myself explaining the whole passport problem.

I emailed my embassy to ask if that would be enough and received confirmation that it would be. I'm putting the email in my application too!!!

Do remember that if you are arriving in Ontario as well as some other Canadian provinces you won't have health care for you baby for 3 months.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
RobsLuv said:
OK, since you are a Canadian citizen, your child will be a Canadian citizen (actually a dual US/Canadian citizen) - whether born in the States or in Canada. If the child is born in the States (which it sounds like s/he will be), you're going to need to get him/her a citizenship certificate so that s/he can come to Canada with you in April. If your child is born in Canada - even before your husband lands - he won't technically have to "declare" the birth at landing . . . but whether born in the States or in Canada, it will be okay to say, when they ask, that he has had a Canadian citizen child just born.

The whole reason behind declaring any new dependents not included on the PR application is because any family member not declared on landing who might need to be sponsored for permanent status at a later date needs to be declared before the immigrant lands, or they are forever barred from sponsoring them. In other words, they don't like immigrants to "hide" family members that might make them inadmissible. But a child born to you (a Canadian citizen) and your husband will not ever need to be sponsored for permanent status - so although you are going to have dealings with bringing the child into Canada (the need for the citizenship certificate), your husband is not under any obligation to "report" the birth at his landing. But there's no harm is disclosing it either - as long as the IO is clear about the fact that this is a Canadian citizen child and not in need of future sponsorship.
Hi Robsluv,

Just curious about your signature. SOrry, this may be out of topic or within the topic still, but your signature says:"Married Sept '06 after 4 yr LDR. Applied via outland ap in March 2007 - refused Jan '08 due to inadmissible adult "dependent child". Appeal filed Jan '08; still waiting for resolution." What was/were the reason/s for inadmissibility due to "adult dependent child"? Thank you.