+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Official stay for spouse as "Global Talent Stream" worker

PaoloAlto

Sep 25, 2019
Hi,

The Canadian immigration system is still fairly opaque to me.
I work in Montreal under the "Global Talent Stream" (GTS) program, so I am a "highly skilled worker" but temporary. My wife is US citizen (I am not); we got married just recently.

As far as I understand, my wife could get an "open work permit" fairly easily due to my GTS which is great and ironically better than my own one! (With the GTS I am restricted to one single job).

While we are considering doing this, it is just overkill: All we want is that my wife can officially stay/live with me in Canada (so she can have insurance with me etc).

Is there really nothing simple in between "tourist visa" and full fledged "open work permit"?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

The Canadian immigration system is still fairly opaque to me.
I work in Montreal under the "Global Talent Stream" (GTS) program, so I am a "highly skilled worker" but temporary. My wife is US citizen (I am not); we got married just recently.

As far as I understand, my wife could get an "open work permit" fairly easily due to my GTS which is great and ironically better than my own one! (With the GTS I am restricted to one single job).

While we are considering doing this, it is just overkill: All we want is that my wife can officially stay/live with me in Canada (so she can have insurance with me etc).

Is there really nothing simple in between "tourist visa" and full fledged "open work permit"?
No, there is nothing in between. Just apply for the OWP.

PaoloAlto

Sep 25, 2019
Great thanks!

Do you know by any chance which documents are required for her to bring?
(I will not be with her when she enters Canada)

Our marriage license is obvious.
But shall I give her my work permit? Or just a copy?
And anything else?

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Great thanks!

Do you know by any chance which documents are required for her to bring?
(I will not be with her when she enters Canada)

Our marriage license is obvious.
But shall I give her my work permit? Or just a copy?
And anything else?

Thank you!
She needs a copy of your work permit, as well as your employment letter proving you have a skilled job and 3 payslips.