+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
the passport number would be your canadian passport.

cecapplied
laras said:
Hello,
A quick question, when filling out the OCI form online for part A and B, for passport details, do i have to fill out the Indian passport details or the Canadian passport details.
Thanks in advance for reply. ;D

Gulshan Grover

Star Member
Jun 3, 2009
Hi guys,

I am going to apply for the OCI. The OCI guidance says the divorce certificate must be attested by the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi. Can anyone suggest me please how can I get attested the divorce certificate by the Ministry of External Affairs, ND.

I am currently living in Canada.

Thanks.

Gulshan

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you are required to appostile your certificate - which is a 2 step process.

1. authenticate the certificate with the state department of the place where you recieved the divorce certificate.
2. after it is authenticated, get it attested by the MEA.

please refer details here - http://mea.gov.in/apostille.htm

would suggest you call / email the consulate and ask whether they need appostilation (which requires you to do both 1 and 2) or only attestation by mea - which would requrie that you do only the second part. OR if you authenticate with the state department, will that suffice - which would mean you do only 1.

the link provided is a good descriptive - which is useful and helps.

cecapplied

Gulshan Grover said:
Hi guys,

I am going to apply for the OCI. The OCI guidance says the divorce certificate must be attested by the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi. Can anyone suggest me please how can I get attested the divorce certificate by the Ministry of External Affairs, ND.

I am currently living in Canada.

Thanks.

Gulshan

VTG

Star Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visa Office......
Edmonton
App. Filed.......
2015-01-29
AOR Received.
2015-03-10
File Transfer...
2015-06-02
hi,

Can anyone advise me how long it takes for postal package which has surrender and OCI paperwork to be available for tracking online.
my package was delivered by fedex today morning .

Thank you

nubee

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry for the delayed response. I had traveled to India and have limited net access.

No passport need to be submitted anymore. You receive OCI booklet. You can even get it couriered by paying extra fee at the time of application submission at BLS.

Best,

Yogi3845 said:
Do they request for your Canadian passport for placing a sticker on it? I believe previously they request for your passport. I don't know the current process though.

nubee

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Typically 1-3 weeks. You may call BLS for further info.

VTG said:
hi,

Can anyone advise me how long it takes for postal package which has surrender and OCI paperwork to be available for tracking online.
my package was delivered by fedex today morning .

Thank you

VTG

Star Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visa Office......
Edmonton
App. Filed.......
2015-01-29
AOR Received.
2015-03-10
File Transfer...
2015-06-02
nubee said:
Typically 1-3 weeks. You may call BLS for further info.
Thank you ! I had called but they said they will let me know unfortunately they are not very sure themselves.

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
Hey guys,

What a very informative thread. I am in the process of applying for the OCI and surrender certification together and had couple of quick question.

*I am married with my wife here in Canada as a PR, she has my name in her passport but I don't - I take it we have to give copies of the marriage certificate but do I still need to give a affidavit from notary public that we are married since I don't have her name or will her passport suffice?

*Also do I need to submit her passport and need an authorization to do so
*how did you guys manage to take the required photo to upload for OIC, do we need to submit a physical printed version while going to BLS for verification or is it just the online version?

Any help is appreciated with a +1

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. I am not sure of this, my understanding is that it will suffice. would suggest go and submit and see what they have to say. i vaguely recollect a friend of mine who was in same situation, and his application was accepted.
2. yes, you will need to submit spouse indian passport. i think they will keep it and return to you back by post. in my case it came back fairly quick - about 7 days.
3. for photo, you need to do both. scan and upload to oci website and also the same photo needs to be submited with paper application printout - which ironically also has the photo printed on it. i did mine in costco. people have done other places and it was rejected - would sugest getting done in costco. what i did was scan the photo, crop it out and it .. saved and then used mspaint to re-size the photo.

hope this helps. any questions - shoot.
cecapplied
draxz1289 said:
Hey guys,

What a very informative thread. I am in the process of applying for the OCI and surrender certification together and had couple of quick question.

*I am married with my wife here in Canada as a PR, she has my name in her passport but I don't - I take it we have to give copies of the marriage certificate but do I still need to give a affidavit from notary public that we are married since I don't have her name or will her passport suffice?

*Also do I need to submit her passport and need an authorization to do so
*how did you guys manage to take the required photo to upload for OIC, do we need to submit a physical printed version while going to BLS for verification or is it just the online version?

Any help is appreciated with a +1

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
cecapplied said:
1. I am not sure of this, my understanding is that it will suffice. would suggest go and submit and see what they have to say. i vaguely recollect a friend of mine who was in same situation, and his application was accepted.
2. yes, you will need to submit spouse indian passport. i think they will keep it and return to you back by post. in my case it came back fairly quick - about 7 days.
3. for photo, you need to do both. scan and upload to oci website and also the same photo needs to be submited with paper application printout - which ironically also has the photo printed on it. i did mine in costco. people have done other places and it was rejected - would sugest getting done in costco. what i did was scan the photo, crop it out and it .. saved and then used mspaint to re-size the photo.

cecapplied
1. As long as one of the passport has the spouse name, they accept it

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
cecapplied said:

cecapplied
Hey,

Thank you very much for the reply +1 :)

I will try just submitting her passport with the marriage certificate from India and thanks to gjp I will plus +1

Another question:

While uploading the documents I take it under Indian origin proof I submit my Indian passport and then there is current passport section for Canadian passport but where do I submit identity documents such as driving license, citizenship certificate, COPR and my wife's passport to show she has my name and her COPR - Do I need to just take photocopy of these and not upload this?

Also what is the relationship certificate and do I upload the marriage certificate along with copies of her passport COPR, PR card.

Draxz

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is what i did.

1. for relationship certificate, i scanned my marriage certificate, affidavit of marriage (because my spouse name was not written on passport), my passport bio page, my spouse passport bio page, and made it all as a single document and uploaded for relationship cert.

2. i dont think i uploaded dl address proof etc.

basically try to find a spot and upload whatever you can - even if it matches closely.

finally, when you submit your paper app, submit all these additional documents that you could not find a spot to upload. also make sure you take a print screen of the document upload page and submit it. if you dont have it, they will make you give 50 cent at bls and take a print out from there and submit. if any more qusetions - shoot
cecapplied.

draxz1289 said:
Hey,

Thank you very much for the reply +1 :)

I will try just submitting her passport with the marriage certificate from India and thanks to gjp I will plus +1

Another question:

While uploading the documents I take it under Indian origin proof I submit my Indian passport and then there is current passport section for Canadian passport but where do I submit identity documents such as driving license, citizenship certificate, COPR and my wife's passport to show she has my name and her COPR - Do I need to just take photocopy of these and not upload this?

Also what is the relationship certificate and do I upload the marriage certificate along with copies of her passport COPR, PR card.

Draxz

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
cecapplied said:
This is what i did.

1. for relationship certificate, i scanned my marriage certificate, affidavit of marriage (because my spouse name was not written on passport), my passport bio page, my spouse passport bio page, and made it all as a single document and uploaded for relationship cert.

2. i dont think i uploaded dl address proof etc.

basically try to find a spot and upload whatever you can - even if it matches closely.

finally, when you submit your paper app, submit all these additional documents that you could not find a spot to upload. also make sure you take a print screen of the document upload page and submit it. if you dont have it, they will make you give 50 cent at bls and take a print out from there and submit. if any more qusetions - shoot
cecapplied.
Hey,

I didnt even realize I got a reply.. thank you very much

That makes sense about uploading everything relating to the marriage to be show in that section - I will upload the marriage certificate under marriage section and the remaining things under the relationship section.

Where did you upload your citizenship certificate, COPR - did you do it under the Current passport section. I am going there tomorrow morning to finally get this done..

One more question since I am submitting it together how long did it take you fully.. I am planning a trip to India in Dec first week, would that be enough time?

Thank you very much for you help and +1 again :p

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
for OCI i went with the white background - standard costco photo and it was accepted.

cecaplied
thecoolguysam said:
For pictures, on Govt on India's website says no white background but BLS website says white background.

Which one is correct?