+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zoya_99 said:
Why to carry Indian pp?
Coz in Indian immigration you will not know when they will ask for what document. Better safe than sorry.

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
chikloo said:
Coz in Indian immigration you will not know when they will ask for what document. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks but are you sure they'll allow to enter without Indian pp surrender?

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zoya_99 said:
Thanks but are you sure they'll allow to enter without Indian pp surrender?
Yes that I know. If you get your evisa approved then they have no reason not to allow you.

InEdm

Star Member
Nov 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-06-2010
AOR Received.
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
30-03-2011 Detroit
Med's Request
20-11-2010
Med's Done....
05-12-2010
Passport Req..
18-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Passport sent..
chikloo said:
Yes that I know. If you get your evisa approved then they have no reason not to allow you.
Yes, One of my family member traveled without surrender. Carried Canadian Passport with Visa.

kannadiga

Sep 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2011
File Transfer...
02-12-2011
Med's Done....
09-08-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2012
LANDED..........
22-03-2012 (Insha Allah)
abemats2000 said:
Hi friends,

Today went to the BLS office in Brampton and completed the first part of the OCI process:

1. Upload all the documents and take the screenshots of the upload and print our the registration forms . This link is useful in reducing the size of the documents to upload.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/other-countries/wiki-how-to-create-a-pdf-file-to-upload-for-oci-application-t198732.html

You need to convert the jpeg into pdf format if you have them stored as jpg or jpeg. This link will help

http://smallpdf.com/jpg-to-pdf

2. Take photocopies of all the required documents (marriage certificate, 1st and last page of all Indian passports, Canadian Passport, Citizenship Certificate and Landing Paper)
3. Keep additional copies of the 1st and last page of the current Indian passport as they will ask for it though it is not a requirement listed in the form. You will have the option of taking photocopies there for 50 cents, but better to be prepared.
4. Keep all the originals. They only checked my passports and citizenship form and landing paper . They did not check the marriage certificate, though you can never be sure.
5. I did the draft through Scotiabank and they were able to print it out properly. I read on the forum that some people were finding it difficult to get the full line on the draft.
6. Go to the adjoining building (next to the actual BLS processing centre) and get the token and then come back to the main building and await your turn.
7. If children are minor then you need to take their birth certificate also.

If all the papers are complete and the originals, and photocopies and the screenshots are in place, then one visit to the BLS is enough. But I did see many people complaining that it was their 3-4th trip. So just read all the requirements carefully and go prepared.

I have to now wait to get confirmation from the consulate that the documents are in order. Then they will start the processing and it will be around 5-7 weeks before I get the OCI booklet.

Thanks ...
Hi abemats2000,

I have completed filling up Part A and Part B online. Now I have the following questions:

1. I uploaded the photo and signature in the jpg format as that was asked online and the requirement was each file less than 500kb. In the link "http://www.immigrationboards.com/other-countries/wiki-how-to-create-a-pdf-file-to-upload-for-oci-application-t198732.html" at the very end it is mentioned that the photo and signature needs to be converted to PDF? Is this required?

2. In the same link it is mentioned that we are creating a single pdf file by creating a jpg file with screenshots of all the required documents and then converting it to a pdf file less than 500kb. But when I go to documents upload page it is giving me different options. for each option the file size is less than 500 KB. so can I upload individual files less than 500 KB?

3. When I go to the document upload page i'm getting only the following options:
a. Current Passport [Current passport means canadian passport or last indian passport?]
b. Indian Origin Proof
c. Indian Visa
d. PIO Card
e. Spouse OCI Card
f. Relationship Certificate
g. Marriage Certificate
Are we supposed to upload only the related documents from the above list? For me I believe only options a,e and g are applicable to me. Do we need to upload any other documents?

4. In the checklist it is mentioned that if the spouse name is included in the passport then marriage certificate is not required? In this case should I submit surrendered indian passport copy? Because although I have my marriage certificate it is not attested by MEA?

5. I recently became canadian citizen and my wife already has an valid OCI card. In this case do I need to submit any additional documents? As per checklist it is her landing paper and her landing passport. Do they ask anything else?

Thanks & Regards.

abemats2000

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
kannadiga said:
Hi abemats2000,

Hi Kannadiga. My answers below your questions..

I have completed filling up Part A and Part B online. Now I have the following questions:

1. I uploaded the photo and signature in the jpg format as that was asked online and the requirement was each file less than 500kb. In the link "http://www.immigrationboards.com/other-countries/wiki-how-to-create-a-pdf-file-to-upload-for-oci-application-t198732.html" at the very end it is mentioned that the photo and signature needs to be converted to PDF? Is this required?

You can upload the photo and signature in jpg format.

2. In the same link it is mentioned that we are creating a single pdf file by creating a jpg file with screenshots of all the required documents and then converting it to a pdf file less than 500kb. But when I go to documents upload page it is giving me different options. for each option the file size is less than 500 KB. so can I upload individual files less than 500 KB?

Individual files should be less than 500 KB.

3. When I go to the document upload page i'm getting only the following options:
a. Current Passport [Current passport means canadian passport or last indian passport?]
b. Indian Origin Proof
c. Indian Visa
d. PIO Card
e. Spouse OCI Card
g. Marriage Certificate
Are we supposed to upload only the related documents from the above list? For me I believe only options a,e and g are applicable to me. Do we need to upload any other documents?

I uploaded the Canadian Passport (front and back page), latest Indian passport (front and last page) and the Marriage Certificate only. However if you want to you can upload the landing certificate or any other document as listed. At the BLS centre, they did not even check the Marriage certificate maybe because the name was there in the passport.

4. In the checklist it is mentioned that if the spouse name is included in the passport then marriage certificate is not required? In this case should I submit surrendered indian passport copy? Because although I have my marriage certificate it is not attested by MEA?

My case is the same though my certificate was attested. But they did not ask for it. Just upload the document but carry it with you to the centre.

5. I recently became canadian citizen and my wife already has an valid OCI card. In this case do I need to submit any additional documents? As per checklist it is her landing paper and her landing passport. Do they ask anything else?

Carry all your originals and her originals and one set of copies. Just carry some blank papers as they may sometimes ask for some undertaking (like for unmarried children, they may ask for an undertaking stating that the children are unmarried as on the date of the submission of the application)n.

Thanks & Regards.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
kannadiga said:
Hi abemats2000,

b. Indian Origin Proof
c. Indian Visa
d. PIO Card
e. Spouse OCI Card
g. Marriage Certificate

Thanks & Regards.
Well, I had some issue to upload the documents on their website. Strangely, their office charges $2 for uploading each document ::)

Each time one visit to their office, they have new surprise to ensure the customer return completely disappointed.

Trust me, the entire process is quite illogical, frustrating and annoying. The rules are ambiguous, each member of the same office interpret it differently. It takes lot of patience and at least 3 - 4 trips, waste couple of hours just to complete a single transaction. :(

kannadiga

Sep 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2011
File Transfer...
02-12-2011
Med's Done....
09-08-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2012
LANDED..........
22-03-2012 (Insha Allah)
Thank you very much for all the info.

kannadiga

Sep 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2011
File Transfer...
02-12-2011
Med's Done....
09-08-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2012
LANDED..........
22-03-2012 (Insha Allah)
Canadiandesi2006 said:
Well, I had some issue to upload the documents on their website. Strangely, their office charges $2 for uploading each document ::)

Each time one visit to their office, they have new surprise to ensure the customer return completely disappointed.

Trust me, the entire process is quite illogical, frustrating and annoying. The rules are ambiguous, each member of the same office interpret it differently. It takes lot of patience and at least 3 - 4 trips, waste couple of hours just to complete a single transaction. :(
I understand. Lot of people have had same issues. With information from all the members in this group hopefully I will try to finish in a single visit. :)

abemats2000

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
kannadiga said:
I understand. Lot of people have had same issues. With information from all the members in this group hopefully I will try to finish in a single visit. :)

Trust me kannadiga... just follow what is mentioned on the CGI/Toronto.. website. I did it in one trip. Also carry all the originals and one copy of each to the centre. Things that you think are not required will be the ones that they may ask. Since each person has different story, for eg. new Canadian passport holders, PIO holders, renewal of OCI requests, Indian visa applications, Lost Indian passport holders, late surrender passport holders, etc... the types of demands by the BLS staff are very different.

They do try to make money by rejecting photos or asking for extra copies etc... Since you do not want to make fresh trips, you end up doing it there and spending more money. Hence it is best to take extra stuff with you.

All the best.

fedex682

Star Member
Mar 22, 2011
abemats2000 said:
Trust me kannadiga... just follow what is mentioned on the CGI/Toronto.. website. I did it in one trip. Also carry all the originals and one copy of each to the centre. Things that you think are not required will be the ones that they may ask. Since each person has different story, for eg. new Canadian passport holders, PIO holders, renewal of OCI requests, Indian visa applications, Lost Indian passport holders, late surrender passport holders, etc... the types of demands by the BLS staff are very different.

They do try to make money by rejecting photos or asking for extra copies etc... Since you do not want to make fresh trips, you end up doing it there and spending more money. Hence it is best to take extra stuff with you.

All the best.
What is CGI/Toronto? Isn't it BLS Toronto? or Am I missing something here?

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
Canadiandesi2006 said:

Welcome to the fraternity... The BLS induced frustrated lives... We share the pain, and offer condolences services at free of cost to the new joiners... So many more joining each day...

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
fedex682 said:
What is CGI/Toronto? Isn't it BLS Toronto? or Am I missing something here?
Yes, you are right that's BLS now, which processes all transactions on behalf of Indian consulate, they have branches in most of the provinces.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
kannadiga said:
For uploading the doc's on BLS website you can find online tools which can compress the doc's to the acceptable file size to upload.