+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

MTLasalle

Star Member
Jun 10, 2019
I'm just curious, why is your first name XXX? is it a cultural thing where you don't have a first name? or was it a mistake in your first passport and kept getting carried forward to avoid the pain of correcting it in multiple places?
@sundeep_s_ If you only have given name on your passport and surname is blank the Canadian immigration will use your first name on Indian passport as your last name and will leave first name blank. When you get your Canadian passport, first name and surname fields are mandatory so they put XXX as your first name. It’s not a mistame, it’s a process where in Canada having surname is mandatory and in India have Surname is not mandatory. No correction required but if this bother any individua he/she can change their names and get it changes on the passport and other documents. But having name is not always easy, for example it’s super hard to get a name change in Quebec, it’s almost impossible.

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
@sundeep_s_ If you only have given name on your passport and surname is blank the Canadian immigration will use your first name on Indian passport as your last name and will leave first name blank. When you get your Canadian passport, first name and surname fields are mandatory so they put XXX as your first name. It’s not a mistame, it’s a process where in Canada having surname is mandatory and in India have Surname is not mandatory. No correction required but if this bother any individua he/she can change their names and get it changes on the passport and other documents. But having name is not always easy, for example it’s super hard to get a name change in Quebec, it’s almost impossible.
Gotcha. haha fun story.. over a decade ago, when I got my first passport in India, my first and last names were in the "Given Name" field and I didn't even realize it. When I applied and got admits in US universities, one of the Univ Admin pointed that out to me and said please change it now if it was a mistake. I applied and got a new passport with separate first and last names! If she hadn't sent me that email, my first name today would be XXXX in my Canadian passport :).

Craxyrider

Star Member
Nov 11, 2014
Scarborough
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
15-12-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Hi All, I understand this thread is for OCI but I felt someone on this thread might be able to help:

my mother currently holds a super visa which will expire in July 2023 because her Indian passport is expiring at that time.I wish to get her passport renewed through BLS Brampton while she is here with me because in India the process takes longer. I tried calling BLS but no luck yet: does anyone know if we can get an Indian passport renewed at CGI TORONTO with a validity of 10 years(if the person is a visitor with either supervisa or tourist visa on their passport)? I did some reading and I found in one of CGI’s documentation that if someone holds a visitor visa etc on their current passport then if they are renewing that passport the new passport validity is only 2 years. Wanted to check if someone has gone through that process please. Because no point if I apply for renewal here and CGI gives only 2 year validity, I would rather then go through the renewal process in India and get 10 year validity and then apply for her supervisa.
@hims0912 I would suggest you to apply for your mother in India. In all honesty it is easier, simple and much quicker there. Also, you can fill her application online on be-half of her. from my exp. they only scan your docs Aadhar card, PAN, etc. even the signed application they just scan and give back your printed signed application form to you. Kudos to the system developed by TCS it is paperless on their end. I received my renewed passport within 50 hours of application submission something that is unusual about the govt services rendered in India. This was back in April 2021.

Below would be the link if applying from India you can also check and book the appt. slot as well for in person submission well in advance so things can also be planned for her with ease.

https://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink#

Below would be the link if applying from Canada

https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html

As for Super Visa renewal it should not be much of a hassle.

Good Luck !

Reactions: hims0912

nitroglit

Jul 25, 2022
Great.., you will get to see it finally :)
I could see my status changed to "(Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping)". But i could not see it in Purolator yet.
Yeh.....! I could see the status on the Purolator site now :) .
Since I sent it by post, I had to search by CAN#### reference number and then filter by shipment date... hopefully will receive it tomorrow...

Reactions: sundeep_s_

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
I did that mistake lol had to go out to TD & get DD. Luckily didn't have to line up again as it was simple drop off.
Yea I almost went that route but someone on this forum alerted me to it the night before. So I stopped by at the TD bank before going to stand in line at BLS. Definitely saved me some headache.

Reactions: Gracious Chap

plzhelpme

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
Guys, I applied for for my surrender(Ottawa) and now it's my 3rd week, the only thing I see on portal "Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate "
I cannot track anything else, no purolator tracking update as I paid for pick and drop-off.
Can anyone suggest, what does it mean by under review, are they going to release it soon or they are taking 6-7 weeks for surrender (Ottawa)?

Edifytech

Star Member
Jan 20, 2016
Hi guys, which browser is everyone using for filling in the online OCI application for Toronto? I am running into the following issues with google chrome:

1) In Part B, I ran into the UI section(present and previous nationality sections) with no fillable fields and dropdowns as shown in the sample OCI form.

2) The submit button did not work either.

3) When I try to retrieve the application to fill Part B today, it says no such temp app ID found

Who can help me with this at BLS or Indian consulate in Toronto?

Nov 2, 2020
In my case, I had my whole name in the surname field in the citizenship certificate (everything in the given name field in in indian passport). I legally changed my name (spitted into given name and surname) through provincial name change process before applying for the passport (In Ontario, the process will take approximately two months and another two weeks to get the updated IDs).

I have seen similar queries before in this thread where they didn't change the name (posted one of the link below). I think they used an affidavit but it is not very clear from the post if they left the given name field blank or put "XXX"!

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10082995

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-9322217
I did use XXX in the first name in the OCI forums. BLS instructed to use same format as Canadian passport.

Reactions: mumbaikar

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Guys, I applied for for my surrender(Ottawa) and now it's my 3rd week, the only thing I see on portal "Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate "
I cannot track anything else, no purolator tracking update as I paid for pick and drop-off.
Can anyone suggest, what does it mean by under review, are they going to release it soon or they are taking 6-7 weeks for surrender (Ottawa)?
I got my surrender certificate recently on 4th week in Ottawa jurisdiction.
So for ottawa, it takes around 4 weeks.

Keep tracking it in BLS website, you should see the status change soon to "In transit to BLS" and eventually "ready for collection" if you have submitted through walkin.

Reactions: plzhelpme

ms453

Star Member
Mar 9, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
Does anyone know how much the shipping label costs for surrender of Indian citizenship certificate?

I am applying by post and cannot reach the call centre. I cannot find this information online and somehow the payment link to generate a shipping label also does not work.

I plan to include the courier fees in the demand draft / money order.

I am sending my application by mail to Brampton 40 Gillingham Dr Unit 403 and I live in Toronto.

The total amount in fee to be paid is $129.40 CAD. I am thinking if i just make a DD / money order for $170 it should be fine?

Any insights are appreciated.

Candidpnp

Jul 4, 2017
Does anyone know how much the shipping label costs for surrender of Indian citizenship certificate?

I am applying by post and cannot reach the call centre. I cannot find this information online and somehow the payment link to generate a shipping label also does not work.

I plan to include the courier fees in the demand draft / money order.

I am sending my application by mail to Brampton 40 Gillingham Dr Unit 403 and I live in Toronto.

The total amount in fee to be paid is $129.40 CAD. I am thinking if i just make a DD / money order for $170 it should be fine?

Any insights are appreciated.
The purolator courier fees is CAD 67.00

ms453

Star Member
Mar 9, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
The purolator courier fees is CAD 67.00
Are you sure it's $67? It's kind of steep considering they only have to send one courier from Brampton to Toronto which only has my canceled Indian passport and a surrender certificate.

I do not want a pick up or any other service.

Candidpnp

Jul 4, 2017
Are you sure it's $67? It's kind of steep considering they only have to send one courier from Brampton to Toronto which only has my canceled Indian passport and a surrender certificate.

I do not want a pick up or any other service.
This is for both pick up and drop off included. If it’s only one way, it could be half.