+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nominated by AB, but offered job in Toronto

UnderMemphis

Mar 6, 2009
I recently got my passport stamped for my PR and will be visiting Canada this weekend since my deadline for entrance is the second week of March.

I have been offered a job in Toronto, but I was nominated by Alberta. Will this cause issues? Is there any way I can get around the problem?

Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are no concrete rules on this. When you applied for AINP, you signed a document stating that you intend to settle in AB. I usually tell people to at least make an attempt to settle in the provinces that nominated them in case they decide to come after you later. If you have no intentions of settling in AB at the time of your landing and you were to tell them that, they might not want to give you your PR. Therefore, if you don't tell them but just go to Toronto right away anyway, in case somebody were to notice that, they might not like it very much. So far, I have not heard about anybody getting in trouble for not settling in the province that nominated them but who knows what they will do in the future.

Did you hear about the case of a man who was denied citizenship because he decided to lie about his address to get a visa office with faster processing? He even qualified for citizenship with the residency but still, years later, he is still only a PR because he tried to cheat immigration.

UnderMemphis

Mar 6, 2009
Thanks Leon!

I sure haven't heard the case.

I have no intention of lying. My weekend trip will actually be in Toronto, where I'm just visiting for the weekend just to fulfill my landing obligation. I'll make sure the immigration officer knows this.

I guess I'll work out the rest later when the time comes!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you cleared it with AINP that it is ok for you to land in Toronto?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Phone them and ask. Hypothetical question, don't have to give your name if you don't want to or you can word it like this that you are not ready to move yet but are going on vacation to Toronto and is it ok to land there.

UnderMemphis

Mar 6, 2009
Update on this issue:

I landed today in Toronto. The immigration officer did not mention anything about AINP. Processed me with no issues. I even gave an Ontario address to mail my PR card and no issues were raised.