+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC duties - copy paste

Phil89

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2014
Guys,

I am very anxious about my job reference letter that i got from my employer. He basically copy pasted NOC duties with some minor changes. Everything else is good. Its a big public chartered accounting firm in Canada and i applied as an accounting technician. I received a 2 year Accounting technician diploma in Canada.
Now I read that it was a bad thing to do as it may lead to a refusal Cry
Any thoughts? Has anyone done the same? thanks

sonny_saa

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
Don't quote me on this but I don't accounting technicians were allowed under CEC

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/what-should-i-do-with-the-new-release-of-cec-t172294.0.html

Lee587

Sep 25, 2014
Phil89 said:
Guys,

I am very anxious about my job reference letter that i got from my employer. He basically copy pasted NOC duties with some minor changes. Everything else is good. Its a big public chartered accounting firm in Canada and i applied as an accounting technician. I received a 2 year Accounting technician diploma in Canada.
Now I read that it was a bad thing to do as it may lead to a refusal Cry
Any thoughts? Has anyone done the same? thanks
Sorry to hear but a friend of mines applied under this and was refused after 3 to 4 months weird that you didn't hear anything back as yet. Maybe they are considering. Order your notes and find out

Phil89

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2014
sonny_saa said:
Don't quote me on this but I don't accounting technicians were allowed under CEC

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/what-should-i-do-with-the-new-release-of-cec-t172294.0.html
I applied under EE but was wondering if anyone has the same experience here?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Phil89 said:
I applied under EE but was wondering if anyone has the same experience here?
That moratorium on certain occupations was from 2013. It has not been in effect for a long time. Just follow the rules in effect at the time you apply and you'll be OK.

Phil89

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2014
jes_ON said:
That moratorium on certain occupations was from 2013. It has not been in effect for a long time. Just follow the rules in effect at the time you apply and you'll be OK.
Thanks. I already submitted my application under EE. My initial question was if its gonna be a problem that my employer copy pasted duties from the government website with some minor changes...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
LOL, that was weird - I was responding to a different thread, not sure how I got yours by mistake. Please ignore : )

As to your question - it's really hard to say without knowing how the substantial the "minor" edits were. But generally, if you work for a large, well-known company, the VO is less likely to have doubts for this sort of thing, as it is more easily verifiable (in contrast with someone who works for his uncle in a 2-man shop).

Yemishub

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019
Thanks. I already submitted my application under EE. My initial question was if its gonna be a problem that my employer copy pasted duties from the government website with some minor changes...
Hi, I know it's a long time again but how did it go, I want to apply under 1311 but I don't deal with taxes, cheques and payroll so I only do financial reports, account balancing, I basically do like half of the main duties, I don't know what other NOC to use and my duties now look similar to 1431

westcoastaccountant

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
British Columbia
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
1241, 1311
App. Filed.......
21-12-2018
AOR Received.
21-12-2018
Med's Done....
24-11-2018
Passport Req..
08-05-2019
Hi, I know it's a long time again but how did it go, I want to apply under 1311 but I don't deal with taxes, cheques and payroll so I only do financial reports, account balancing, I basically do like half of the main duties, I don't know what other NOC to use and my duties now look similar to 1431
Hi, you should be fine. I applied under 1311 as well. I don't do taxes or payroll either. My job duties are in AR. I got approved. Only half my job duties matched with what's on the website!

Yemishub

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019
Hi, you should be fine. I applied under 1311 as well. I don't do taxes or payroll either. My job duties are in AR. I got approved. Only half my job duties matched with what's on the website!
Thanks a lot for the swift reply, is it okay if I reword my JD and send to you, what my employer gave me is really messed up, it looks like 1431, I could just post it here when I am done for you to see. Thanks again

westcoastaccountant

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
British Columbia
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
1241, 1311
App. Filed.......
21-12-2018
AOR Received.
21-12-2018
Med's Done....
24-11-2018
Passport Req..
08-05-2019
Thanks a lot for the swift reply, is it okay if I reword my JD and send to you, what my employer gave me is really messed up, it looks like 1431, I could just post it here when I am done for you to see. Thanks again
Yes, for sure! You could message it to me or post it here. Whatever is more comfortable for you. I'll do my best to help:) I've faced the NOC nightmare myself..it's painful to say the least lol

Yemishub

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019
Yes, for sure! You could message it to me or post it here. Whatever is more comfortable for you. I'll do my best to help:) I've faced the NOC nightmare myself..it's painful to say the least lol
Ensure weekly balancing of accounts and reconcile accounts in AS400 for all retail clients.
Maintain backup of billing statements for retail clients and Independent business operators
Prepare and analyze period end reports
Assist settlement department by providing information to support internal and external audits.
Prepare quarterly shrinkage statements for payment resolution.
Review and analyze automated reports and report findings to management.
Provide assistance with other financial ad-hoc reports as required.
Perform other duties assigned.

I dont have any accounting degree though, my background is in IT, really worried this would look like a clerical role. I have thought of using the 1254 for statisticians, my role title is Analyst, department is Scan based trading finance, it's really confusing

westcoastaccountant

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
British Columbia
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
1241, 1311
App. Filed.......
21-12-2018
AOR Received.
21-12-2018
Med's Done....
24-11-2018
Passport Req..
08-05-2019
Ensure weekly balancing of accounts and reconcile accounts in AS400 for all retail clients.
Maintain backup of billing statements for retail clients and Independent business operators
Prepare and analyze period end reports
Assist settlement department by providing information to support internal and external audits.
Prepare quarterly shrinkage statements for payment resolution.
Review and analyze automated reports and report findings to management.
Provide assistance with other financial ad-hoc reports as required.
Perform other duties assigned.

I dont have any accounting degree though, my background is in IT, really worried this would look like a clerical role. I have thought of using the 1254 for statisticians, my role title is Analyst, department is Scan based trading finance, it's really confusing
I think this could work as 1311. I just looked through the job duties of 1311 on the website. Now that I think of it, for me, it's just the 1st two points really that matched. And I had a couple of duties that I managed to align with the last point.

I think 1311 just describes full cycle accounting. And not all of us who work in accounting do it. I'd write these duties up in order so the ones that match the most are at the top of the list. Hope I helped.:)

If you are confused between 2 different NOCs, I'd go with the one with which this set of job duties align the most.

Yemishub

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019
I think this could work as 1311. I just looked through the job duties of 1311 on the website. Now that I think of it, for me, it's just the 1st two points really that matched. And I had a couple of duties that I managed to align with the last point.

I think 1311 just describes full cycle accounting. And not all of us who work in accounting do it. I'd write these duties up in order so the ones that match the most are at the top of the list. Hope I helped.:)

If you are confused between 2 different NOCs, I'd go with the one with which this set of job duties align the most.
Thank you, I appreciate your help, I do a lot of analysis and reporting with the various customer accounts so I have no business with taxes, cheques and payroll. I am asking around anyways to see which one matches better, 1113 or 1254. Thanks again