+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 1311 or 1431 ???

jimmyf

Feb 10, 2012
Can someone tell me what are the main difference between a Bookkeeper(1311) and a Accounting Clerk(1431)?
I just got a reference letter from my employer, but both 1311 and 1431 duties have included in my letter. I check the hrsdc for both duties, but both titles looks like doing the same thing, does someone know what is the major difference? Thx!!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
you mean, besides the fact that one qualifies (1311), and one does not (1431)? :)

From the NOC descriptions, a Bookkeeper works at a higher level - to claim 1311 most of your responsibilities would have to be simliar to NOC 1311 -

Accounting technicians and bookkeepers maintain complete sets of books, keep records of accounts, verify the procedures used for recording financial transactions, and provide personal bookkeeping services. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed. Main duties:
Keep financial records and establish, maintain and balance various accounts using manual and computerized bookkeeping systems
Post journal entries and reconcile accounts, prepare trial balance of books, maintain general ledgers and prepare financial statements
Calculate and prepare cheques for payrolls and for utility, tax and other bills
Complete and submit tax remittance forms, workers' compensation forms, pension contribution forms and other government documents
Prepare tax returns and perform other personal bookkeeping services
Prepare other statistical, financial and accounting reports.

1Accounting and related clerks calculate, prepare and process bills, invoices, accounts payable and receivable, budgets and other financial records according to established procedures. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors. Main duties:
Calculate, prepare and issue documents related to accounts such as bills, invoices, inventory reports, account statements and other financial statements using computerized and manual systems
Code, total, batch, enter, verify and reconcile transactions such as accounts payable and receivable, payroll, purchase orders, cheques, invoices, cheque requisitions, and bank statements in a ledger or computer system
Compile budget data and documents based on estimated revenues and expenses and previous budgets
Prepare period or cost statements or reports
Calculate costs of materials, overhead and other expenses based on estimates, quotations, and price lists
Respond to customer inquiries, maintain good customer relations and solve problems
Perform related clerical duties, such as word processing, maintaining filing and record systems, faxing and photocopying.

jimmyf

Feb 10, 2012
Thanks Jes_ON!
But my question is, the duties in my reference letter, 60% are belong to 1311, 30% are belong to 1431, and there are even 10% belong to the Payroll Clerk. Since I am working in a small company, I almost do all the accounting jobs. Is my reference letter gonna be a problem? Is that possible that CIC classify my real title is 1431?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
the letter of employment should clearly indicate main duties that are consistent with 1311 (to receive credit for that).

Yes, it is possible that CIC would think you are doing the "unskilled" job, unless the letter is very clear...

amydoan

Aug 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2011
AOR Received.
25-08-2011
File Transfer...
08-11-2011
Med's Request
08-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-10-2011
Passport Req..
09-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
05-01-2012
I think you will be just fine. Since you cover all the accounting functions in the company, you will just need to list them all and give the priority and emphasis on the "B" NOC! 2-3 lines mentioning about the low skills will not disprove you at all. G'luck!

mauro80

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
5 years later I exhume this post since I am in the exact same situation...
I am actually trying to figure it out for my wife. She falls in between the two classification but one falls under noc b (5 points) the other is under noc c (0 points). She can technically falls into both. She also have a Bachelor degree WES recognized for Economic and Accounting.

And the job description doesn't help because on her contract it is written:

2. Job Title and Place of Work
Employee will be employed as Accounting Clerk and such other positions that he or she may hold from time to time. You will formally report into the Financial Controller or such other person as the company may from time to time designate.

I want to claim for noc 1311 to claim those 5 points. Worse scenario she will be laced in noc 1431 and we don't get those points correct ?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mauro80 said:
5 years later I exhume this post since I am in the exact same situation...
I am actually trying to figure it out for my wife. She falls in between the two classification but one falls under noc b (5 points) the other is under noc c (0 points). She can technically falls into both. She also have a Bachelor degree WES recognized for Economic and Accounting.

And the job description doesn't help because on her contract it is written:

2. Job Title and Place of Work
Employee will be employed as Accounting Clerk and such other positions that he or she may hold from time to time. You will formally report into the Financial Controller or such other person as the company may from time to time designate.

I want to claim for noc 1311 to claim those 5 points. Worse scenario she will be laced in noc 1431 and we don't get those points correct ?

Well... the contract is not a required document. A letter from the employer specifying the job duties actually performed is required. So it depends entirely on what her employer will put into writing.

But I can say that it does not look good. IRCC will assume the lower-level job unless your documentation very clearly supports the higher level one. My advice would be to see if you can get the ITA without this job in your profile.

Correct - if you have it in your profile, but fail to convince the VO that it is a skilled occupation, you would loose the CRS points; if your new score was not above the threshold for your draw, you would lose your eligibility.

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
Can someone take a look for me is it 1311 or 1431 for my duties?? I feel like between both. Thanks
  • Ensures that all input is received and team member data is verified in the system prior to processing for accuracy in set up based on the classification and related collective agreement which drives the applicable pay, deduction and accrual rules
  • Responsible for the integrity of data resulting from input, calculation and setup changes
  • Proactively recognizes issues which may have significant impact/service implications, and escalates for action and resolution to the payroll leadership team
  • Assist in processing union agreement changes including calculations for retroactive payments and premium changes
  • Preparing journal entries and account reconciliations for month end close
  • Building Excel spreadsheets to answer employee and community concerns
  • Calculating costing analysis and what-if scenarios
  • Reviewing and proofing spreadsheets, pays, data etc.
  • Assisting with vacation and sick concerns etc. Other tasks and duties assigned by the Interim Direct

mnayyer

Nov 16, 2017
Hi All,

I'm a Tax Consultant (or tax analyst) at a firm and I file & prepare for Partnership & Corporate taxes for US-Based Clients (Form 1065 and 1120 to be precise) - from Nov 2016 to date - almost 2 years.

My duties include - preparing Federal, State & City Taxes for US Partnerships and US Corporations . Along with their Tax calculations based on Audit reports. I prepare these and the returns with Internal Revenue Service(or code) compliance.
I also review/supervise this work of my junior staff for some clients and some i prepare myself.

This is a brief job role & duties.

Note: I do not have any professional certification like a CA or CPA but i do have an accounting college degree.

Will I fall under 1311 or 1111 category or any other category?

Basana

Oct 3, 2017
Hi all,

In Nova they said:

But the Noc is : 1311
With name Accounting and related clerks , the Noc must be 1431

Very confuse ?

Yemishub

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019
Can someone take a look for me is it 1311 or 1431 for my duties?? I feel like between both. Thanks
  • Ensures that all input is received and team member data is verified in the system prior to processing for accuracy in set up based on the classification and related collective agreement which drives the applicable pay, deduction and accrual rules
  • Responsible for the integrity of data resulting from input, calculation and setup changes
  • Proactively recognizes issues which may have significant impact/service implications, and escalates for action and resolution to the payroll leadership team
  • Assist in processing union agreement changes including calculations for retroactive payments and premium changes
  • Preparing journal entries and account reconciliations for month end close
  • Building Excel spreadsheets to answer employee and community concerns
  • Calculating costing analysis and what-if scenarios
  • Reviewing and proofing spreadsheets, pays, data etc.
  • Assisting with vacation and sick concerns etc. Other tasks and duties assigned by the Interim Direct
Hi, what did you do eventually, I have the same issue too with picking NOC 1311 because I don't deal with payroll, taxes and cheques. I am half way through the responsibilities for 1311 so my duties seem like 1431

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
Hi, what did you do eventually, I have the same issue too with picking NOC 1311 because I don't deal with payroll, taxes and cheques. I am half way through the responsibilities for 1311 so my duties seem like 1431
I put 1311 and submitted it ....waiting for PR result now (take up to 6 months)