+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New in Toronto

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by June_77, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Hi,

I landed in Toronto on October 25th. Living in Brampton temporarily & looking for a job desperately.

I feel a little lost in a new city. Any other new arrivals going through what I am going through?

2. It's always difficult if you are on your own. Do you have any family or friends who can support you in your early settlement stages?
    Maybe check out https://www.ontario.ca/page/services-newcomers-and-refugees and see what might be available in your area.

https://settlement.org/ is also a very good resource.

3. Any new immigrant will go through a culture shock sooner or later. Be prepared for that when it happens and the way to address it is to get socially involved, try out new things and experiences, relive old experiences if they exist here, speak to other folks who have been through that phase. If you don't have a support system, seek out one. If you don't have social group, make one by checking out Meetup groups. Be patient in this process, it takes few weeks to months to figure your groove.

Disclaimer : I know you did not mean it that way, but it you consistently feel depressed, please don't hesitate to seek medical help.

4. That's a bit of a generalisation. Not every new immigrant will undergo "culture shock". Some, myself included, slip very easily in to place. A lot depends on their previous circumstances and how well they integrate into a Canadian environment. Friends and relatives are a great resource for adapting.

hamgha likes this.
  5. for someone who has never visited western nations it might be.

6. It is directly proportional to skin color.

Though I am surprised with OP's problem since looks like he is from South Asia and is living in South Asian Area.

7. Everybody who is new to this country go through this phase, just be optimistic and be determined about what has driven your decision to move here...its easy to get bogged down.

8. Don’t despair, things take time in Canada. I would recommend that you start networking, search for local temp agencies, and job fairs. Have a Canadian or someone that has lived here for a while review your CV and provide you feedback.

It will get easier with time, everyone is a little lost in the beginning. There are lots of helpful people on this forum if you have specific challenges.

9. Thank you every one for the support.

10. Hi I landed almost an year ago, I can totally understand what yuurr going through. Hang in there. There are plenty of jobs trust me you'll find it. You can always ping me if you need any more information

11. Thanks for the support everyone.

12. You got this June! Dont give up yet.
    I arrived in Toronto in 2018.
    What i did is keep my self busy at max by finding random jobs as living in Toronto is pretty expensive and I didn't prefer to waste my savings. This was my solution. Everyone has its own. Also, we used the employment services offered by the government to help us with the resume and interviews. If you want to find a job there are plenty, just apply, apply, apply