+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to hand in my old expired passport to home country

silkman

May 11, 2009
I intend for citizenship next month and was informed that I need to keep my expired passports for the citizenship test.
However my home country's policy requires me to hand over my expired passport to them when I apply for a new one. This is clearly stated on their application form.
I need to go away on business so I definitely need a new passport.
I have stayed continuosly in Canada for more than 1095 days. If I make a photocopy of all the pages in my old passport before handing it in will CIC accept the photocopies to prove my stay.
I just don't want any hiccups in my citizenship application.
All help is appreciated.
Thanks

CA17CA

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
If there is no choice, then prepare a certified true copy for your passport and all pages from a notary public. Also, try to make it as late as possible so that your true copy is dated AFTER you apply for citizenship.
Also keep a copy for your new passport application that shows that you have hand over the expired passport.

Thanks

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
I intend for citizenship next month and was informed that I need to keep my expired passports for the citizenship test.
However my home country's policy requires me to hand over my expired passport to them when I apply for a new one. This is clearly stated on their application form.
I need to go away on business so I definitely need a new passport.
I have stayed continuosly in Canada for more than 1095 days. If I make a photocopy of all the pages in my old passport before handing it in will CIC accept the photocopies to prove my stay.
I just don't want any hiccups in my citizenship application.
All help is appreciated.
Thanks
Passports (all required) are checked during interview. Not having one at the time of interview "might" lead to further scrutiny.

But if you must and have no other option do what the above poster said.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am in the same situation. My consulate kept my old passport when had to renew it and gave me a photocopy of each page (not notarized). I already apply for citizenship. Will I be in trouble at the time of the interview? Please help!

Passports (all required) are checked during interview. Not having one at the time of interview "might" lead to further scrutiny.

But if you must and have no other option do what the above poster said.

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
I am in the same situation. My consulate kept my old passport when had to renew it and gave me a photocopy of each page (not notarized). I already apply for citizenship. Will I be in trouble at the time of the interview? Please help!
Can't say anything, the officers might be used to these situations. I guess you have no option but to wait and see how it goes.

Take with you all necessary documents that prove what you are saying. Along with the copies of passport provided to you.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the advice. I think they have all the information they need after I gave then consent to request my CBSA travel history. In addition, I did not have a valid visa during my eligibility period before becoming PR as I did not need to leave Canada, I only had my valid study permit which does not authorize re-entry. I hope I don't get an RQ!

Can't say anything, the officers might be used to these situations. I guess you have no option but to wait and see how it goes.

Take with you all necessary documents that prove what you are saying. Along with the copies of passport provided to you.

avigtr

Jan 11, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I think they have all the information they need after I gave then consent to request my CBSA travel history. In addition, I did not have a valid visa during my eligibility period before becoming PR as I did not need to leave Canada, I only had my valid study permit which does not authorize re-entry. I hope I don't get an RQ!
I think this post is from May 12, 2009 at 1:04 PM

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I was in the same situation, my expired passport was with the Philippine consulate in Vancouver for renewal, I called them if I can borrow the expired passport, and they said sure, I returned it after my test/interview. :)

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was in the same situation, my expired passport was with the Philippine consulate in Vancouver for renewal, I called them if I can borrow the expired passport, and they said sure, I returned it after my test/interview. :)
Thanks for your message but I can't recover my old passport, unfortunately. However I do have a copy of each page. In addition, I did not have a visa to re-enter Canada in that passport as I never renewed my first 6 month visa, only my study permit. Do you think I will get a RQ?