Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

Before I start, please bear with this long post. :)

I will be completing my duration of 1 year of the required work experience to apply under the CEC at the end of Jan. I should be applying in the first week of Feb. as I have most of my documents ready. Have a few questions regd. the process though:

1. Firstly, I came to Canada before I turned 18 and before that I had lived in the U.A.E. throughout. According to the guide (Pg. 13: Note: If you or your family members were under 18 years of age (16 years of age in certain jurisdictions) for the entire time you lived in a particular country, you do not need to provide a police certificate for that country.), I would then not be required to submit police certificates. A friend (who has got his PR) was in a similar situation (grew up in U.A.E. and came here before turning 18) while applying yet he was asked for these certificates during the course of his application. Now I have read through some of the posts on this forum and people have sent in their certificates with the application (which is what I had intended to originally, as they say more is better :)). Should I then wait for the consulate in Buffalo to request these certificates rather then sending them with the application? The process to get them is lengthy and not to mention, expensive. So if I could avoid it, I'd really prefer that.

2. I have studied and conversed in English all my life and I don't really want to spend $265 on taking the IELTS test to prove my proficiency. I will write a letter to support my claim but with regards to other proof, the document checklist says the following:
i) official documentation of education in English (would a copy of my degree suffice???)
ii) official documentation of work experience in English (Should I get my supervisor to say that I worked and spoke English all the time???)
iii) other applicable documentation (I worked part-time in a fund-raising call center and as an English Language Facilitator at my university. Would reference letters from my supervisors at those jobs suffice???)

3. Regarding the NOC category, I work as a Process co-ordinator (job title) at GE where I do data trending, workflow design etc. A normal title for such a job would be QA analyst but that is not the case. While browsing the NOC, the closest group I'd fall under is 1122: Professional Occupations in Business Services to Management. Now the educational requirements for this would be: A bachelor's degree or college diploma in business administration, commerce or a related discipline is usually required. I have a degree in electrical engineering and I'm a little unsure as to whether my experience would count in such a scenario (which would be sad as I had taken this job in order to apply under the CEC). What would be the best thing for me to do? Get a change in Job Title (even if I have less than two months left on the job). Get my supervisor to explain in detail why I would fall under this category (this would be a little difficult to do as my manager is a busy person). Explain in my personal letter to the Consulate as to why I feel I would fall under this category?

These are my three main concerns before I go ahead and make that all important application and I will really appreciate any help or advice I can get.

Thank you!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
1. Send exactly what they ask for, no more, no less. They may well ask for the UAE later, but since it is not required, I would not do so until they ask for it.

2. 99% of the time I would recommend taking the IELTS anyway, but you may succeed, do as you plan.

3. Job title not as important as job duties/responsibilities. I think your degree is OK. Your letter of employment from your supervisor should mention the job responsibilities and duties, so there's no need for you to write a letter as well.

akp

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the info Jes!

akp

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How can I be sure of my NOC category though?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Depends - what kind of processes are you analyzing? Business processes or technical / production processes?

If it is business processes, NOC 1122 is the right code. Look at the range of titles it covers:

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/SearchNocCodeResult.aspx?val17=1122&val18=0&val19=0

If it is more technical (engineering or manufacturing processes), check out NOC 2141

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileNocCode.aspx?val=2&val1=2141&val17=1122&val18=0&val19=0