+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Change & Update in Passport after receiving COPR

Jun 16, 2018
Hello Forum,

My wife has recently changed her name to match my last Name after our marriage. Legally changed in US & India.
Her name has changed from 'FirstName MiddleName LastName-1' to 'FirstName LastName-2'

We have already received our COPR.

My wife is also planning to update her name in the Indian Passport in a few weeks. We will file an application soon. (Her old Passport due for renewal this year anyways)

Also, we plan to do our Landing in October / November this year and she will have her updated Passport with her New Name when we do our landing (The COPR was received is in the old name)

(Ive seen answers to this in threads from 4-5 years ago, but wanted a fresh perspective to be sure)

Questions:

• Can we do our landing with the New Passport with New Name & COPR in old name?
(We will carry name change documentation/proof & Marriage certificate with us obviously)
(We will be carrying the OLD as well as NEW Passport when we do our landing)
  • Do we need to carry any additional Documents?
  • How can we officially inform CIC once the Name has been updated in the Passport?

Basically trying to make sure there no issues if we update the passport with the new name, now that we have our COPR in the old name.

We appreciate your your time to help us with these queries.

Thanks!
ush1btocanadapr

Ferry1810

Aug 5, 2019
Hello Forum,

My wife has recently changed her name to match my last Name after our marriage. Legally changed in US & India.
Her name has changed from 'FirstName MiddleName LastName-1' to 'FirstName LastName-2'

We have already received our COPR.

My wife is also planning to update her name in the Indian Passport in a few weeks. We will file an application soon. (Her old Passport due for renewal this year anyways)

Also, we plan to do our Landing in October / November this year and she will have her updated Passport with her New Name when we do our landing (The COPR was received is in the old name)

(Ive seen answers to this in threads from 4-5 years ago, but wanted a fresh perspective to be sure)

Questions:

• Can we do our landing with the New Passport with New Name & COPR in old name?
(We will carry name change documentation/proof & Marriage certificate with us obviously)
(We will be carrying the OLD as well as NEW Passport when we do our landing)
  • Do we need to carry any additional Documents?
  • How can we officially inform CIC once the Name has been updated in the Passport?
Basically trying to make sure there no issues if we update the passport with the new name, now that we have our COPR in the old name.

We appreciate your your time to help us with these queries.

Thanks!
ush1btocanadapr
Hi. Do u have any information on this??

I am in the same boat and so confused on what to do???