+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife moving to Canada

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
I have made a thread about this a while ago but things have changed so I thought it most appropriate to start a fresh new thread. I need advice.

Here is the situation:
I am sponsoring my wife via the outside Canada route. We decided a while ago for her to move here prior to gaining PR status. I live in BC. I will fly to Toronto on May 5. She is flying into Toronto May 8 (with a round-way ticket so if needbe, she can show ability to return). The plan is for us to then fly back to BC on May 13. At the airport, she'll have her client # to show, as well as our marriage certificate. She'll be able to show a means of returning to England (her home). Our angle of attack for her getting through customs is for her to state she is married to a citizen, show that we have a application in process, but that she is coming in for a visit (taking advantage of the fact I am in Toronto for other reasons as well, so that she doesn't have to travel all the way to BC from England). The return ticket is only a few weeks after she arrives (that's my screw-up), but the hope is that while with me, I'll contact CIC and advise them we decided to stay together pending the results of the application.

Few thoughts:
1 - I know it would've been much easier to just wait for PR approval, but it just wasn't possible for different reasons.
2 - No one needs to point out that if an interview is requested, it'd be in London. We already know that.
3 - I realize there is a bit of "fudging" or selective truth involved here.
4 - What I'm really looking for here are suggestions to successfully get my wife through customs when she flies in. Can anyone share any insight?

Thanks in advance - sorry for the long post. And in case some of you realize it, yes, I am making this post on a few sites just to get the most amount of responses possible.

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
From what I've read on all these sites, it really shouldn't be a problem for your wife to come in and visit you at all. In fact, I can't remember reading about anyone from a visa exempt country entering with evidence of their outland application having any trouble getting in for a "visit". I don't think I'd bother ringing CIC to tell them about your change of plans, just wait and see how long they give your wife on entering (it may be the full six months) and then wait to see if the application's finalised in time. If you get to the five month mark and it looks like it will take longer, put in an application to extend her stay - you'll have until they make a decision on the visa application at least (maybe another 2 months, even if ultimately they say no) and the PR might be done by then.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
My only advice - be honest. I see no issues with her entering Canada as you describe it. She has to return to get her PR anyway as you have filed out-land, right?

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
I am from a country that does not require a visa to enter. The U. S. I am doing an "Outland" application. I told the border people that I was visiting my wife. They got on their computer and confirmed my application status and allowed me to enter with no problem. Just make sure that the application has been filed and bring her passport with her. That gives them all the information they need to confirm the application status.

Arncan

Apr 30, 2008
Does the country that is processing the application for Permanent Resident say when it has been started?

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Not too sure what you are asking. For me...my application is being processed through Buffalo, NY Consulate. Information on my application was available to the border station. I suppose that they have access to the information on applicants from your country as well.

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
Well I want to thank everyone for their advice. My wife flew in yesterday afternoon without incident. Not only that, but according to her, the IO simply looked at her passport, previous stamps, and return ticket, and didn't ask one single question. Not "who are you here to see". Not "business or pleasure". Nothing. My wife didn't have to say one single word. For me, it raises the question on how much it influences them the country your passport is issued from. Regardless, I am so happy she's here. We're not out of the woods yet as we're still in process, but I'm confident our application was well put together, and that we're only a few months at most away from reaching that desired outcome.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.