Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2010
LANDED..........
12 MAY 2011
Hello friends,
Almost one year ago I had the great luck to meet an extraordinary man through the web. I am a greek citizen and my future husband (we will be getting married in 3 weeks) is a Canadian citizen. Initially I came to Canada to meet him, I returned to Greece and not being able to stay away from him, I returned to Canada in the beginning of October (as a visitor) to live with him. All this time we have been checking at the website of immigration Canada to see what we should do, so that I can legally live with him in Canada. The website is a total chaos, imagine that I had not discovered the the in-canada process of sponshorship. If you go to “visa and immigration applications (IN CANADA)” cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/menu-inside.asp and after “Sponsor a Spouse, Common-Law or Conjugal Partner and Dependent Children” you are given the forms of OUTSIDE CANADA. It seems that deliberately they want to mislead people.
Anyway, we were informed that we can fill in a sponsorship application in-canada, followed with an application for an open work permit. We will be doing so, after we have at our hands our certificate of marriage. They told us that the sponsorship application in-canada demands a period of 6 months as a first stage of approval and after those 6 months, I shall have the open work permit in 1 or 2 months. So 6+2=8months. 8 months I believe is the most optimistic scenario and let’s say I will need another one month to find a job, we are at 9 months. I’m young and well educated and I feel terrible to the idea of having to stay unemployed for almost one year because of this bureaucracy and having to make a living with what my husband is earning. Are these times true? Can you verify it too my friends?
They also told us that the outside Canada process is generally more quick, but -I think-maybe is more hard to be approved (in the form of outside Canada they ask u like a million indiscreet questions while in the one of inside it’s less).
I asked immigration Canada how I can start to work legally in Canada the soonest possible and they told me that if I have a Job offer and all the other documents I need, I can have a regular work permit issued very quickly, in one month. Now, I wonder, is there any employer who would like to hire a foreigner, satisfy Immigration Canada and the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) and have to wait at least one month before the worker can actually work legally??? I mean in case the employer is not the worker’s daddy…
Do you have some piece of advice for me? Would it be better to apply from in Canada or out? Is the solution of the regular work permit, indeed the soonest way to be able to work in Canada? And sth last: my status as a visitor expires in the end of march. I have read that as the spouse of a Canadian citizen it doesn’t matter if I lose my status. And since I apply for sponsorship it’s ok to lose it because I’m waiting for a response. Is it indeed like that?
Thank you

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Since you are in Canada, it is better to apply in-land. If you apply from outside Canada, the processing time may be quicker, but you might not be able to get back into Canada while you are waiting. If you apply inland, you can still be with your spouse while you are waiting.

diddagirl

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
Since you are in Canada, it is better to apply in-land. If you apply from outside Canada, the processing time may be quicker, but you might not be able to get back into Canada while you are waiting. If you apply inland, you can still be with your spouse while you are waiting.
Nope. I would recommend applying outland, both because it is faster, and because if denied, you actually have the right of appeal (which you dont with inland). Also, it is in fact the inland that can cause you problems, should you need to leave Canada for any reason during your application process and are denied entry back into Canada, your inland PR application will be refused.
For an outland application, as long as a person maintains their visitor status in Canada, it is more then acceptable for them to stay for the entire duration of their application.

konstantinos-the outland application is not "harder to be approved" by any means. It is much, much faster then inland, and you will likely be working much quicker if you guys decide to go through the outland process.

bflava

Star Member
Feb 2, 2010
the out-land is the faster and u will get everything with the 6-8 months as compared to the in-land where the arroval stage ie 1st stage takes 5-6 , also with the in-land u have to proof more evidence than the out-land... so far out-land is easy not easy but easier/quicker than in-land..

read the instructions well, check the processing time for yr country and make a judgement on yr case.. u can get married in 3 weeks gather yr application forms and everything, right now, ie do yr police report now and also yr medicals as soon as u done with marriage and put all this together, make sure u pay yr $1040 upfront as it makes things easier plus , yr carss, yr comminucation, how u met and how u develpoed yr relationship, right now it is important to proof more b4 yr marriage than after yr marriage, the burden of evidence is on u remember ..

Go Out-land and what u can also do is also apply for extension to you 6 months 30 days b4 it expires and u can track yr application out-land and all u have to do is flag-pole or exit the country n come back and at the same time u will have a feel of looking for jobs.

well dont let me bore u but

if u chack on the cic website well, it doesnt mis lead.. if u want out-land application it is there for u.. good luck

konstantinos

Feb 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2010
LANDED..........
12 MAY 2011
Thank you so much for your answers!!!I am in a dilemma. My visa office is the one of Rome (since I am Greek) and their processing times vary from 5 to 11 months, plus the 43 days at Mississauga. So the least is 6,5 months and the most 12,5 months.
With the inland process, I will surely not have the permanent resident card so fast, but I can have the open work permit after 7 or 8 months.
I wonder, no matter which application I choose, if I leave Canada and want to re-enter (I don’t require a special visitor-visa, I travel with my passport as a European Citizen), why should the Officers at the port of Entry not let me pass?? I mean if I have my valid passport, even a booked ticket to return (no matter if I will use it or not), with what reason shall they deny me to enter?

konstantinos

Feb 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2010
LANDED..........
12 MAY 2011
and something else.. if I apply with the outland, when my visa will be ready, will I have to go to Greece to get it or I can get it from immigration Canada?And If they call me for an interview, I guess that will be at the Canadian embassy in Greece. So I will have to go to Greece and after the interview wait how much time in Greece to have in my hands the visa so I can go back to Canada?
Sth last.With the open work permit,or with the regular work permit, am I allowed to leave Canada and re-enter?

Lylyth

Star Member
Sep 15, 2009
These are the pros and cons we found with applying Inland and our unstanding of how Inland applications work.

Pros to applying Inland:
-Being with your spouse
-6 months approx wait time for AIP
-Can get an open work permit once AIP is approved

Cons to applying Inland:
-Freedom to travel out of country is questionable, can be denied re-entry to Canada until PR is approved
-May not get AIP or work permit in 6 months wait time and have interview which can be another wait (not sure of exact time line)
-Finances may be strained (depending on supporting spouses income) Living on one income can be tough.
-If application is denied there is no appeal
-PR may take another 6 months after AIP (not sure of exact time line)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
konstantinos said:
I wonder, no matter which application I choose, if I leave Canada and want to re-enter (I don't require a special visitor-visa, I travel with my passport as a European Citizen), why should the Officers at the port of Entry not let me pass?? I mean if I have my valid passport, even a booked ticket to return (no matter if I will use it or not), with what reason shall they deny me to enter?
I see you can enter Canada without a visa, so I change my recommendation. Outland is better. You can come back to Canada at any time while your PR application is being processed. I prefer inland only when the applicant needs a TRP to get into Canada, because he/she might be refused, and then end up waiting for months or years away from spouse.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
konstantinos said:
I wonder, no matter which application I choose, if I leave Canada and want to re-enter (I don't require a special visitor-visa, I travel with my passport as a European Citizen), why should the Officers at the port of Entry not let me pass?? I mean if I have my valid passport, even a booked ticket to return (no matter if I will use it or not), with what reason shall they deny me to enter?
A major reason that they could use is ties to your home country. If they decided that you don't have property or a lease you are responsible for, or a job to go back to, or family ties/responsibilities, you could easily be refused at the POE. It might come down to whether your ties to Canada are stronger than your ties to Greece, which would be bad if you're planning a supposedly temporary visit to Canada. They want to be assured that you intend to use that return ticket.

konstantinos said:
and something else.. if I apply with the outland, when my visa will be ready, will I have to go to Greece to get it or I can get it from immigration Canada?And If they call me for an interview, I guess that will be at the Canadian embassy in Greece. So I will have to go to Greece and after the interview
wait how much time in Greece to have in my hands the visa so I can go back to Canada?
I believe that they will send your visa to whatever mailing address you give, which could be one in Canada. Yes, if you're called to an interview, it will be in Greece (or Rome? probably Greece). You'd have to leave Canada for the interview and they don't necessarily have to let you come back to Canada after that for the rest of the process.

I'm not sure how long after the interview there will be a decision, but my impression is that it could be months. Someone else here probably knows more about that.

Americans, who are also visa-exempt, are usually given a "visitor record" if they are applying outland while staying in Canada temporarily. This allows you to stay for a specified period of time (without working or attending classes) but does not give you the "right" to return. So long as your application is in process, they will likely let you come back, but it is not guaranteed. Many people here have stated that it is better if your husband is with you when you are coming back to Canada. Obviously, that is easier for Americans, but I suppose that if he is meeting you at the airport, they could call him in to ask questions. When my partner came for a visit from the U.S. a few months ago, they phoned me to ask questions while I was at the airport before letting him through.

alpesantezo

Star Member
Sep 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
13-03-2010
File Transfer...
11-01-2010
Med's Request
16-09-2010
Med's Done....
19-09-2010
Interview........
NO!
Passport Req..
16-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2010
LANDED..........
01-01-2011
Outland..... theres a post here called INLANDERS all of them say that the processing times are not whatthey seem.. theres i people stuck in the process for more than 1 year there.. you should check it...

konstantinos

Feb 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2010
LANDED..........
12 MAY 2011
THANK YOU canadianwoman, THANK YOU diddagirl, THANK YOU bflava, THANK YOU BeShoo, THANK YOU alpesantezo :)

I see you can enter Canada without a visa, so I change my recommendation. Outland is better. You can come back to Canada at any time while your PR application is being processed. I prefer inland only when the applicant needs a TRP to get into Canada, because he/she might be refused, and then end up waiting for months or years away from spouse.

Yes I don't need a visa but that doesn't mean they will let me pass at the POE. It's exactly as you say it BeShoo.
I was told at the call centre that there are 2 extentions of visitor visas. the "regular'' which cost 75$ and is valid for 6 months and one that is "multiple entry" cost 150$ valid for 6 months. So for an instant, a lightning of hope crossed my mind and I though " I can ask for an extension of multiple entry and go with the outland process. If I have to leave for an interview, I can come back since the extention is multiple entry!" And after that I woke up, because the agent told me that since I dont require a visa to enter as a visitor, I cannot be issued the multiple entry one only the regular one.If someone can get a multiple entry it's one way to choose outland.

I dont know what to decide. Secure and Suffering?(inland) Fast and Risky?(outland)
I have one question if someone feels to take guess and answer or knows by experience:
How easy is it to find a Job Offer in Canada, while a visitor? (I could do anything to have a job, clean *censored word* if I have to)
And IF you find, how easy or how fast can you be issued a work permit?
It's really nice to talk to you guys. And when I found this site I couldn't believe how many people go through what I'm going through and many of you a lot worse than me. It would be nice to meet sometime, take a walk.... Is anybody living in Montreal?
Thanks again

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
konstantinos said:
I was told at the call centre that there are 2 extentions of visitor visas. the "regular'' which cost 75$ and is valid for 6 months and one that is "multiple entry" cost 150$ valid for 6 months. So for an instant, a lightning of hope crossed my mind and I though " I can ask for an extension of multiple entry and go with the outland process. If I have to leave for an interview, I can come back since the extention is multiple entry!" And after that I woke up, because the agent told me that since I dont require a visa to enter as a visitor, I cannot be issued the multiple entry one only the regular one. If someone can get a multiple entry it's one way to choose outland.
Since you're visa exempt, you're not going to get either a single-entry or multiple-entry visa. Essentially, you a "multiple entry" by default. Even if you had a multiple-entry visa, they don't have to let you through. The only way you have a right to enter Canada is if you have a permanent resident card or a passport.

For a regular visa-exempt visitor, they will usually stamp your passport and if they don't write in a date, you are good for 6 months. They usually write in an expiry date if they want to give you less time but for 6 months, they sometimes leave it blank. For some visitors they might not stamp it at all, but you still only get 6 months.

If you have a PR application in process, they will often extend your visitor status for however long they think it will take to finish processing. For $75 you can request an extension before your status expires (recommended at least 30 days before) and you can stay till you get an answer.

To request an extension, you need to be able to prove your current status is valid, which is not easy with a stamp and very hard if you have no stamp. So, if you have applied for PR and tell them that at the border, they will usually attach a piece of paper to your passport called a "Visitor Record." You have to give that back before it expires, unless you have an extension. Usually they will issue that for 6 months, but it could be less. It's not supposed to be more.

Many people here have gotten 1 year extensions when they ask for an extension. I suppose it depends on what stage your PR application is at.

A Visitor Record still doesn't give you the right to re-enter, but many have reported multiple outide trips (to the U.S. at least) while on a VR.

Some of this information may apply more to the U.S. than to Greece, so be a little cautious in interpreting it.

I don't have time right now to write much about jobs, but for now assume that getting a job will be impossible. Sorry. I'll write more on that later unless somone else does first.