+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Must I have a license for my profession before immigrating to Canada?

Azizmustapha

Apr 1, 2020
Before applying for jobs as an express entry candidate from outside Canada, do I need to first contact the regulatory body and obtain a license if my profession is regulated? Will employers disregard job applicants that hasn't contacted the regulatory body for the profession?

Because my profession (which is architect) is regulated, I'm obviously required to contact the regulatory body. But because designation and certification vary by province, I need to know first where the company that might offer me job is in order for me to know which province I need to contact.

Does having a license already once I'm in Canada necessary or am I overthinking this?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Before applying for jobs as an express entry candidate from outside Canada, do I need to first contact the regulatory body and obtain a license if my profession is regulated? Will employers disregard job applicants that hasn't contacted the regulatory body for the profession?

Because my profession (which is architect) is regulated, I'm obviously required to contact the regulatory body. But because designation and certification vary by province, I need to know first where the company that might offer me job is in order for me to know which province I need to contact.

Does having a license already once I'm in Canada necessary or am I overthinking this?
would warn you that jobs as architects are hard to find these days. would really explore what kind of opportunities are actually available in Canada. I know Canadian architects that have moved to other fields because computers and things like suburban developments with 1-3 models of home have reduced the need for workers..