+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Ottawa from UK, London

samkuyt

Jan 5, 2009
Dear All,

I need help!

Am moving to Ottawa to work in July 2009 from England with my wife and 2 young children (4 years and months). I am actually a Canadian citizen by birth so do not need a work permit.

My questions concern:
1. Can I drive in Canada with my UK driver's licence?
2. Which areas are best to live in in Ottawa with a family - we want something central to get the full Ottawa experience?
3. I need to enrol my 4 year old son into a junior kindergart - can anyone sggets any good ones in good areas?
4. I need to open a Canadian bank account - what documents will I need and who do people recommend?

Thanks,

Samkuyt

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You can drive in Canada on a foreign license for about 3 months and then you have to change it. Canada has a contract with the UK so it should be very easy for you to switch out your UK license for a Canadian one.

2. and 3. I don't know

4. I've heard good things about Canada Trust and BMO but I bank at Superstore myself (PC financial). They are good because they have no fees and good interest rates but they have no branches so you have to do your banking online or through the phone. You can open an account just with ID but it's better if you have your SIN.

samkuyt

Jan 5, 2009
Any ideas how I go about obtaining my SIN? I am a Canadian citizen by birth if that makes it easier.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You go to a Service Canada center and apply for it. Bring your proof of citizenship with you. They will send you a SIN card in the mail a couple of weeks later. Since you don't have a SIN already, go ahead and open the bank account without one. When I did it, I showed them my passport and promised to tell them my SIN when I would get it.

Keep the SIN card safe at all times. Don't give anybody your SIN number unless it's absolutely necessary. If it gets in the wrong hands, they can use it to steal your identity. Mostly it's used by government and banks. Your employer would need it for tax purposes.