+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada questions

Dee O

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
Hi everyone, I move to Canada this summer and I have a few questions. I will appreciate it if anyone will be able to answer them for me.

1. CANADIAN CAR INSURANCE - I am planning on driving my car to Canada (my name is on the title) and would like to find out how I can get insurance for my car. I have searched and searched online but I cannot seem to find a good and clear answer on how to get one.

2. I am an OINP provincial nominee and I believe I read that the 3-month waiting period for the health insurance has been waived. My question is would I still need to get travel insurance for my road trip there? When can I apply for the health insurance provided by the province?

3. Any other relevant information that might help with my move will be really appreciated.

Thank you

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
Hi everyone, I move to Canada this summer and I have a few questions. I will appreciate it if anyone will be able to answer them for me.

1. CANADIAN CAR INSURANCE - I am planning on driving my car to Canada (my name is on the title) and would like to find out how I can get insurance for my car. I have searched and searched online but I cannot seem to find a good and clear answer on how to get one.

2. I am an OINP provincial nominee and I believe I read that the 3-month waiting period for the health insurance has been waived. My question is would I still need to get travel insurance for my road trip there? When can I apply for the health insurance provided by the province?

3. Any other relevant information that might help with my move will be really appreciated.

Thank you
Information about Ontario health coverage.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/health-cards

You can apply as soon as you have the required documents showing identity, proof of status in Canada, and proof of Ontario residence. There is currently no waiting period.

Reactions: Dee O

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you
Would look up whether the 3 month waiting period right before your trip. There are many websites that list the various car insurance companies. You'll likely need proof of your permanent address first because rates are partially determined by where you live.