+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada from US with spouse who has visit visa

nin_ja

Star Member
May 20, 2016

Hello,

I am a Canadian PR who lives in US because of my employment, with my wife. Because of a change in my employment situation we will finally be moving to Canada (I landed a few years ago, made sure that meet residency requirement) in the next few months.

While I have a PR (and a job offer) when I come to Canada, my wife only has a visit visa (we got married after I got my PR). We have visited Canada once in the past year together for a short trip. I am worried if my wife will have any trouble while entering Canada this time, since we will show clear intent to stay permanently (as I moving with new job, and household items will be on the way with movers); considering that she only has a visit visa. We intend to apply for a inland spousal sponsorship, once we move to Canada. We plan to fly into Canada and have the movers bring in the household items separately.

Has anyone been through a similar situation or knows about how this works? Would really appreciate if you have any advice or could share your experience, as I am quite worried about this. Your help and advice is much appreciated!

--------
I had previously posted this in the Family Sponsorship forum, re-posting here since this seems more related to my specific issue in the hope of learning from anyone who might have similar experiences. Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Hello,

I am a Canadian PR who lives in US because of my employment, with my wife. Because of a change in my employment situation we will finally be moving to Canada (I landed a few years ago, made sure that meet residency requirement) in the next few months.

While I have a PR (and a job offer) when I come to Canada, my wife only has a visit visa (we got married after I got my PR). We have visited Canada once in the past year together for a short trip. I am worried if my wife will have any trouble while entering Canada this time, since we will show clear intent to stay permanently (as I moving with new job, and household items will be on the way with movers); considering that she only has a visit visa. We intend to apply for a inland spousal sponsorship, once we move to Canada. We plan to fly into Canada and have the movers bring in the household items separately.

Has anyone been through a similar situation or knows about how this works? Would really appreciate if you have any advice or could share your experience, as I am quite worried about this. Your help and advice is much appreciated!

--------
I had previously posted this in the Family Sponsorship forum, re-posting here since this seems more related to my specific issue in the hope of learning from anyone who might have similar experiences. Thanks.
The advice you received in the Family Class section is the most related you will get. This section is for economic applicants, a very different situation than yours.

Reactions: nin_ja

nin_ja

Star Member
May 20, 2016
The advice you received in the Family Class section is the most related you will get. This section is for economic applicants, a very different situation than yours.
Thanks @canuck_in_uk. I see, since this is for persons who are working in the USA currently, I thought maybe someone might have had a similar experience. But I see what you mean, thanks!