+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from US

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Hi,
I'm planning my move to Toronto in 2 months from Northeast.
Can somebody please help with:
- Which areas in Toronto are preferred for a family of 3 including infant?
- Are there any moving company recommendations?
- Did anyone hire packers?
- Are there any items i can stock up on from US since things in Canada are more expensive?

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Hi,
I'm planning my move to Toronto in 2 months from Northeast.
Can somebody please help with:
- Which areas in Toronto are preferred for a family of 3 including infant?
- Are there any moving company recommendations?
- Did anyone hire packers?
- Are there any items i can stock up on from US since things in Canada are more expensive?
FWIW, auto insurance is high in peel region.

https://www.insauga.com/mpp-moving-to-tackle-sky-high-auto-insurance-rates-in-mississauga

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
North East USA?
Yes from Boston specifically. Haven't decided if i'll be driving or flying in. Mostly driving since its a 9 hr drive.
Need all the info i can get on car, housing, day care etc.
We have a forrester but we are planning to get a bigger suv but not sure if i should get it in USA or Toronto. Also don't know how easy/feasible it will be to park there. Husband will be working in downtown toronto and we are looking for areas where his commute will be max 30 min.
Also will need a daycare and kid friendly neighbourhood for our 9 month old.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes from Boston specifically. Haven't decided if i'll be driving or flying in. Mostly driving since its a 9 hr drive.
Need all the info i can get on car, housing, day care etc.
We have a forrester but we are planning to get a bigger suv but not sure if i should get it in USA or Toronto. Also don't know how easy/feasible it will be to park there. Husband will be working in downtown toronto and we are looking for areas where his commute will be max 30 min.
Also will need a daycare and kid friendly neighbourhood for our 9 month old.
If your husband is going to be working in the downtown core (financial district) there is a limited area that will be an under 30 min commute. See the map here for an approximation:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/commute+downtown+toronto+30+min+map/@43.6547527,-79.4141868,13z/data=!3m1!4b1

If you want to live within this box, you can expect to pay a premium for rent (or home purchase). Some homes/condos/apartments have parking some don't. Large parking spaces are harder to find.

Day care is expensive. Average is around $1,800 but can easily go up to $2,400 or more. Spaces aren't always available - sometimes you have to go on a waiting list. So ideally you should figure out where you want to live now and look into day cares in the area asap.

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
If your husband is going to be working in the downtown core (financial district) there is a limited area that will be an under 30 min commute. See the map here for an approximation:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/commute+downtown+toronto+30+min+map/@43.6547527,-79.4141868,13z/data=!3m1!4b1

If you want to live within this box, you can expect to pay a premium for rent (or home purchase). Some homes/condos/apartments have parking some don't. Large parking spaces are harder to find.

Day care is expensive. Average is around $1,800 but can easily go up to $2,400 or more. Spaces aren't always available - sometimes you have to go on a waiting list. So ideally you should figure out where you want to live now and look into day cares in the area asap.
Thank you for the info. Are there other areas with a longer commute that most people prefer then? Which neighbourhoods would you recommend?
We both will be working so we need daycare/nanny very soon. But can't start looking until we decide on an area.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the info. Are there other areas with a longer commute that most people prefer then? Which neighbourhoods would you recommend?
We both will be working so we need daycare/nanny very soon. But can't start looking until we decide on an area.
I work in the financial district and live in the Bloor/Bathurst area. My commute is 20-25 minutes and that's my preference. I wouldn't want to live further out of the downtown core. However there are others who don't want to be so downtown (some people hate downtown) and don't mind a commute that's an hour or more. I would hate living in the suburbs - not for me. For every opinion you get from one person here, someone else will say the exact opposite. There's really no single answer to your question - and there is no area that most people prefer. It's all a matter of personal preference.

If you're this uncertain, I would recommend that you pick a location to live and get a shorter term rental - then assess if you like that area and are OK with the commute.

I don't know what your budget is in terms of finding a place to live (either rent or buy) - however this will also determine where you are able to settle down. So you can search based on that as well.