+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from US to Canada Urgent help

passportwait

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Hello everyone,

I did my landing on January 13 2018 and couple of days later I came back to USA. I was planing to move in January this year and Covid happened .

I would really appreciate if someone can answer these questions:

1) MY PR card shows expiration date of 23 March 2023. Issue date 13 Jan 2018. I am planning to move in September or October. We have to complete 2 years out of 5 years. Should I calculate that 2 years from the expiration date or Issue date? I am worried that am I cutting to close?

2) I am currently working in US and thinking I will work from home in Canada for next couple of months starting October so that I can stop the clock. Come back and take care of the few things for a few days and move permanently to Canada. Is there any other requirement than completing 730 days to renew my PR considering if I move there or accumalate time now I should be able to complete 730 days as my PR expires on March 23 2023?

3) Will the border immigration officers question me why I did not move for so long and wondering if people are in the same boat who moved to canada at a later stage once they received the PR.

Please help.

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
1. You have to be in Canada for at least 730 days (two years) before 23 March 2023. You still have time but do not cut it too closely. COVID has never stopped you from entering Canada.

2. There is no clock that "stops" when you enter Canada. There is only the five year period, during which you must be in Canada for at least 730 days. If you try to enter Canada without enough time to meet this requirement, you can be entered into proceedings to have your PR revoked.

3. If you arrive before you are out of time they will probably not question you. But in the event you are reported for failure to meet the RO, it will be asked why you chose not to move to Canada considering you had plenty of time to do so.

Reactions: passportwait

passportwait

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Thank you very
1. You have to be in Canada for at least 730 days (two years) before 23 March 2023. You still have time but do not cut it too closely. COVID has never stopped you from entering Canada.

2. There is no clock that "stops" when you enter Canada. There is only the five year period, during which you must be in Canada for at least 730 days. If you try to enter Canada without enough time to meet this requirement, you can be entered into proceedings to have your PR revoked.

3. If you arrive before you are out of time they will probably not question you. But in the event you are reported for failure to meet the RO, it will be asked why you chose not to move to Canada considering you had plenty of time to do so.

Thank you very much. So its by the expiration date ( 23 March 2023 ) and not by the landing date ( January 13 2018 ) ?

passportwait

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
You can't possibly accumulate 730 days of presence by your landing date, can you?
No my question is that the two year period is calculated from Expiration date or landing date. The reason I ask is If I move there by January 12 2021 I will still be able to complete 730 days . Now if we are calculating it from expiration date then I can move by March 22 2021 and will be able to satisfy the 2 year period. Of course I will be cutting close but wanted to understand from what date it is calculated?

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
Your 5 year period starts from your landing date ( January 13 2018 ). Expiry date on PR card does not have any significance.

passportwait

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Your 5 year period starts from your landing date ( January 13 2018 ). Expiry date on PR card does not have any significance.
Thank you Ajith. This helps. So just one clarification , my landing date is in January , if I move in October or November I should be fine right? Given that I will complete 730 days from November 2020 till November 2022 . Are there any other requirements I need to take into consideration to maintain my PR other than the 730 days period?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Thank you Ajith. This helps. So just one clarification , my landing date is in January , if I move in October or November I should be fine right? Given that I will complete 730 days from November 2020 till November 2022 . Are there any other requirements I need to take into consideration to maintain my PR other than the 730 days period?
No, just that if you're cutting it that close you can't leave Canada between November 2020 until November 2022 at all.

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
You should be fine as long as you have 730 days presence.

Keep in mind that each time you enter Canada, the physical presence is calculated as the number of days present in Canada in the prior 5 years.

For example, If you are entering Canada on Jan 5th 2026, your physical presence will be calculated between Jan 5th 2021 and Jan 5th 2026.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You should be fine as long as you have 730 days presence.

Keep in mind that each time you enter Canada, the physical presence is calculated as the number of days present in Canada in the prior 5 years.

For example, If you are entering Canada on Jan 5th 2026, your physical presence will be calculated between Jan 5th 2021 and Jan 5th 2026.
* After the first five year period, yes.