+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from US. Daughter's school admission in 1st standard in Toronto.

nitinvgarg

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
I received COPR in Feb,18, planning to do soft landing in Aug with final move in Feb,19 . I have a question on the schooling for my daughter.

In the US school, she would be going to KG in september of this year.

My question is "In Feb,19 would she be able to get admission in 1st std" when we finally move to Toronto. At that time, my daughter would have already completed six years and would be eligible for 1st standard.

Please confirm.

Dec 14, 2014
I received COPR in Feb,18, planning to do soft landing in Aug with final move in Feb,19 . I have a question on the schooling for my daughter.

In the US school, she would be going to KG in september of this year.

My question is "In Feb,19 would she be able to get admission in 1st std" when we finally move to Toronto. At that time, my daughter would have already completed six years and would be eligible for 1st standard.

Please confirm.
Note that US cut off date for KG is 5 years by August 31 while in canada it’s straight forward on calendar year. Any kid born in 2013 will start KG this year in September while those born in 2012 will start 1st grade this September . So if your daughter was born anytime in 2012 she will be of 1st grade for Canadian school from sept 2018 to June 2019.

That said, private schools do give an option if you want to go for higher grade than age... I personally would not recommend that though since it better for kid to be oldest in class than really youngest among all. Anyway, you should check with area school you plan to live or someone in the area.