+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

moving from province to province

ange

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
Is it possible to obtain PR status for Alberta, get health coverage there, but move almost immediately to Ontario? (to get around the 3 month waiting period that OHIP has).

Are there restrictions to where and/or when you can move as a landed immigrant?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are not planning on living in and paying tax to AB but you expect them to pay for your healthcare. Do you not think that is dishonest of you?

ange

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
Is it dishonest?
What I think is dishonest is that OHIP, through its regulations, has blocked my son from ever entering Canada, even though he is a Canadian citizen! That doesn't seem right, does it?

Let me explain...
My son is 7 weeks old. Only the right side of his heart functions. The left side is underdeveloped. This will never be corrected. With surgeries he will possibly (if he survives) lead a semi-normal life. Surgery one has been completed successfully already.
Because his heart defect is a pre-existing conditions for which he continues to be treated, he cannot get private insurance. his parents (me) cannot afford to pay for his hospital bills should he need to be admitted. Therefore he would be untreated for 90 days. Perhaps he wouldn't need a doctors visit for the 90 days but I'm not going to bet his life on it...

therefore, again, is it possible for my son to land in Alberta, make use of Alberta's health care for the 90 days and then move to Ontario?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I still think it's dishonest. If you prize Alberta's willingness to cover your sons medical bills from day 1, then move to Alberta. Why are you so willing to move to a province that is not willing to do anything for you?