+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minimum Income Requirements to sponsor

Jan 10, 2011
Hey,
I am a Canadian looking to sponsor my Irish husband. We are living in Canada right now, and my husband is here on a work permit. We are starting the application for Permanent Residency, and have stopped b/c we are now not sure about what the minimum income requirement is for myself. I have read in one website that for 2 people I have to prove I earn $27600, but in another website it says that requirement is waived if sponsoring a spouse. I am very confused and we are worried that that is what is going to get in our way. Does anyone have the answer? Thanks very much!!

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
There is no financial requirement to sponsor a spouse so you're okay!

canamconnect

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Specifically you just have to have a way to support you and him. You cannot be on Social assistance etc. :)

suze_h

Star Member
Oct 27, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apparently the only exception to this is if you are intending to reside in Quebec (I called the CIC call centre with the same question as I wasn't completely sure!) For any other province there is no minimum income requirement if you are sponsoring a spouse / common-law partner. Good luck with your application :)

mmhughes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2010
File Transfer...
17-11-2010
Med's Done....
23-08-2010
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
The reason why they ask these questions on the family (spouse) sponsor application is to ensure that they are not receiving social assistance (welfare) or have declared bankruptcy and so on. So you are fine!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To be a sponsor:

You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself.
You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.
You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
are in prison or
have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp#sponsoring

KarenCee

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Georgia, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what I read here, Quebec does have an income requirement:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5196E10.asp

KarenCee

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Georgia, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OOPS! So sorry...I read that too and was thinking that "spouse" was considered a relative. I do apologise. :-[

KarenCee

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Georgia, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did, however, find this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

Sponsoring a spouse, partner or dependent child

You can sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children if you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada. To be a sponsor, you must be 18 years of age or older.

You can apply as a sponsor if your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or accompanying dependent children live with you in Canada, even if they do not have legal status in Canada. However, all the other requirements must be met.

You can also apply as a sponsor if your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children live outside Canada, and if they meet all the requirements.

When you sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children to become permanent residents of Canada, you must promise to support them financially. Therefore, you have to meet certain income requirements. If you have previously sponsored relatives to come to Canada and they have later turned to the government for financial assistance, you may not be allowed to sponsor another person. Sponsorship is a big commitment, so you must take this obligation seriously.

To be a sponsor:

* You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself.
* You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.
* You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

* failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
* defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
* received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
* were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
* defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
* are in prison or
* have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.

Other factors not included in this list might also make you ineligible to sponsor a relative.

If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements, after Citizenship and Immigration Canada approves you as a sponsor. For more information, see the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.

From what I read here it suggests that to sponsor a spouse there IS an income requirement.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wixta said:
What about Quebec? Do they have minimum income requirement? ( I never found any saying about that) :eek:
The link for Quebec immigration is at the bottom of the page I listed.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wixta said:
Can smb else confirm or hopefully deny that you need a minimum income requirement if you are sponsoring spouse in Quebec?
If you take the time to follow the links and read the text, you will find that family class sponsorship for people living in Quebec does have a minimum income requirement.
Obviously it depends on your specific situation, which I obviously don't know.

KarenCee

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Georgia, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes but the second link I provided and the one Baloo posted both say the same thing. The part about spouses I bolded and underlined so you would see it because it's way down towards the bottom:

If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec's immigration sponsorship requirements, after Citizenship and Immigration Canada approves you as a sponsor.