+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mechanical engineer job opportunities in Canada?

cayisteyen

Nov 7, 2014
Dear all,

I'm a German citizen, currently at the age of 44. I'm a graduated mechanical engineer, specialized on test bed mechanics like drive trains. Currently I'm thinking about applying for the express entry system in one of the first months in 2015.
I did not prepare any documents yet since I'm still in the first research phase about Canada Immigration but meanwhile I found out that I would fulfill the requirements for the FSWP 2014.

The question I have right now is about the Canadian labour market. How do you appraise the job opportunities for a mechanical engineer in the English speaking parts of Canada? Do I have a realistic chance to get a job in my profession in let's say Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver?

I appreciate all helpful information and advice you can give me. Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
cayisteyen

scooby.tw

Aug 1, 2009
In Canada, most of the position entitled "mechanical engineer" needs you to register the engineering association here.
It means that it is better to have the professional engineer license here.

For Alberta, you can read this website about the application to have the engineer license.
http://www.apega.ca/

hope this helps.

cayisteyen

Nov 7, 2014
Thank you for this hint. As I see, beeing member of APEGA is not a must but increases my chances for a good job in Alberta, correct?

Does anyone know about the general labour market situation in Alberta and British Columbia for mechanical engineers?

Best regards,
cayisteyen

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
cayisteyen said:
Thank you for this hint. As I see, beeing member of APEGA is not a must but increases my chances for a good job in Alberta, correct?
Not really.

If you are not a PEng that means you can't be hired as an engineer. You can be hired as an apprentice, or as an assistant of an Engineer. Of course salary and everything else would be proportional to your level.

cayisteyen said:
Does anyone know about the general labour market situation in Alberta and British Columbia for mechanical engineers?
Query monster.ca periodically to get a good glance.

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jalex23 said:
Not really.

If you are not a PEng that means you can't be hired as an engineer. You can be hired as an apprentice, or as an assistant of an Engineer. Of course salary and everything else would be proportional to your level.

Query monster.ca periodically to get a good glance.
To clarify further, you can apply for jobs which state Mechanical Engineer, as long as you are eligible for registration with APEGA (for Alberta) or any other provincial body. It is up to the employer to decide if the nature of the job would require you to be fully accredited/registered.

For example, many companies hire mechanical project engineers, but title them as project managers until the registration is received. As long as you are not required to stamp drawings, calculations etc, this is not going to be a hindrance in landing a job. Where this may be an issue could be for EPC companies like Worley, SNC etc who would not be able to hire you as an engineer, but maybe as an engineer-in-training where after one year of Canadian experience, you can submit an application for your P.Eng membership. There are other alternatives such as Provisional license etc which you can research to determine if you can apply for them, and they can be a stop-gap measure for some employers who understand the nuance (not all do, unfortunately).

Currently, market is reasonably well in AB and SK, so keep a look-out here.

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Greetings cayisteyen,

Forget the negative advise what other people have posted. I have a lot of experience in this field. I can tell you that as a Mechanical Engineer from Germany you have a very bright future here in Canada.

In the beginning, you will be hired as an Engineer in Training or you can work as an Engineer with major firms and consultant firms. The only difference between Peng certified engineer and a non-Peng certified Engineer is that you will not be able to STAMP the drawings. There is a slight salary difference, but it is not very huge.

So first thing is that you get a job in your field, it could be Engineer-in-training, also known as EIT. After completing a few years of experience in Canada, then you apply for your Peng certificate. You also need to get your German degree assessed.

I have many German friends and worked with many people from Germany. Germany is really the best in technology and your work ethics and standards are very high. Good Luck !

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cayisteyen said:

Best regards,
cayisteyen
Labout market situation for mechanical engineers is good ALL OVER Canada. It is only the third world educated people who have hard time find a job, mainly bcoz their Universities are not up to the standard required by Canada. As a German engineer, you should not be worried. I myself have a degree from a western country and never had issues with jobs and interviews.

ofonzo

Nov 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012
Nomination.....
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
23-10-2012
IELTS Request
18-05-12
Med's Request
26-11-2012
Med's Done....
21-12-2012
Passport Req..
01-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2013
LANDED..........
02-08-2013
Thanks for cayisteyen- what are the chances of 3rd world educated engineer who gets a P.Eng in the Job market?

Cheers

Ofonzo

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ofonzo said:
Thanks for cayisteyen- what are the chances of 3rd world educated engineer who gets a P.Eng in the Job market?

Cheers

Ofonzo
If you do manage to get your P.Eng then the opportunities are good, but just being a P.Eng doesn't bring opportunities. Employers will like too look at your track record, your confidence level, your English speaking skills. All these come into play. Don't worry .. I know many third world P.Eng who are doing very very good in the Canadian economy. Actually it also depends on wether you REALLY know your stuff. .. I have seen many Third world educated Engineers, who have a degree .. but are clueless of the subject, Good luck to you.

Gomes_Eng

Jan 13, 2015
There are also several "Bridging Programs" for Mechanical Engineers, which are short term educational programs to help you find jobs within the field quickly, to overcome the barrier of "No Canadian Education". In Toronto, I know of people who went to Humber College for such a program. I think it is also offered by University of Toronto.

Dec 17, 2014
I encourage everyone with an engineering background to check out Engineers Canada.

If you are thinking about coming to British Columbia, organizations to look at are APEGBC, and also DAWEG, if you are a women engineer.

A few months ago, I attended a panel discussion seminar in Vancouver for Internationally Trained Engineers and Geoscientist: How to Find a Job in Canada and Prosper. Received a lot of good information there. In summary, I heard three main messages to think about when you do job search from the panelist:
1. Know what you are good at
2. Who wants that skill
3. How do I market myself

One panelist mentioned these trends in future job market for engineers: innovation, urban densification, and natural resources.

When you look for an engineering job, be able to express your passion in engineering, and put your past work experience in context (in Canadian culture). Choose wisely what companies you're approaching and think about what values you can bring to them.

Another interesting point I heard is the difference between having a "I can do anything" attitude vs. a "can do attitude". Do some research so that you can speak to specific jobs, and not go to HR of a company and say "I can do everything, what opportunities do you have". "I can do anything" is not very helpful. This seems to happen quite a bit and employers don't tend to find this a good thing in a candidate. Start by building some understanding of engineering work in Canada, and identify what engineering skills and contributions you can offer to a company or project.

I work with an employment program at a non-profit organization called MOSAIC in Vancouver. If you are looking for job search support before coming to Canada, check out our MOSAIC Online Pre-arrival Services (google this and you will find the website to it). We offer free online workshop on job search strategies in Canada. Our next start date is February 23rd, 2015. You must have started your immigration application process to Canada in order to participate.

If you are an internationally trained women engineer, we will have a special free online workshop in February, where you can learn about engineering work in Canada. This workshop is offer by MOSAIC, funded by WWEST.

If you want employment support after arriving in Vancouver, visit MOSAIC! We provide various services to immigrants and newcomers to BC.

I hope these information will be helpful for some of you.

Iorek

Jan 19, 2015
Hello all,

I'm in a similiar situation to our German friend, BEng degree from an Irish university which is CEQB recognised. I understand that I will not be able to be hired immediately as a PEng Engineer but may apply to jobs that stipulate "eligible for PEng".

However, is there any benefit in registering and applying for PEng before arrival in Canada, as opposed to finding a job and then applying for PEng?

candadacalling

Star Member
Oct 27, 2014
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
NOC-2132
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2015
Doc's Request.
RFPR, PCC
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
19-12-2015
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
24-02-2015
Med's Done....
07-03-2015, Medicals received 17/03/2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12/5/2015 passport recvd by CPC-O 21-5-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25 May- 2015, Passport received 05 June-2015
LANDED..........
In calgary, on 30 july-2015
Hello seniors,
How is the market for Mechanical engineers having masters from US university?
Personally speaking I have a Engineering degree from India and did Masters( M.S.Mechanical) from USA. Have 2+ years of working experience from USA in Design and Engineering Field. And 4+ Years in total in Design, Engineering, and Fabrication.
How is the market for Engineers like me?
Thanks in advance.

evil.genius

Apr 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Landon
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2014
File Transfer...
03-01-2015
Med's Request
15-04-2015
Med's Done....
11-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-05-2015
LANDED..........
Soon IA
Dear Fellows,
I am migrating to canada next month on PR (FSWP) visa .

I am Electronics Engineer (Instrument & Control) from India having +6 years of work experience at large scale Power Generation plants.

- Can you please suggest, which city/province should I choose where there is good probability of getting my field professional job (Instrument & Control Engineer ) ?

- I have conducted my Educational Credential Assessment from Word Education Service(WES-Canada) for visa application process. I have heard still I need to take some Engineering License before start looking for a job...is it true?
> If it is then what is its way forward? How can I proceed for getting license before leaving for Canada?
> What is its approximate $ expense & time it takes to get license?

Looking forward for your kind response.

Jul 13, 2015
dear sir
i an inform you to that i am mechanical engineer and i want to job in core area in canada which i could spend my knowlege properly.

i hope your response will be possitive

tank you

Ananymousbat

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
Hi I have completed my B.Eng in mechanical engineering in India and I am going to pursue my M.Eng in Canada could anyone please tell me how is the job market for mechanical engineering in Canada. Is it hard to get a job and is there anything I can do to improve my chances for getting a god job after completing my graduate degree....looking forward for a reply