+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May require DNA please help ( to PMM or anyone who can help answer)

kelseyA

Aug 21, 2009
I am about to sponsor my parents with two dependent step brothers. I am worried because i think DNA might be required to find out if my step brothers are really my fathers children because my last brother from my parent is 8 years older than my first step brother. What worry me the most is that i remember about 12 years ago when my last step brother was about 4 years old my mother told me that, she is not sure he is my father's son because his head is too big and my step mother was a cheater that support her claim when my step mother got caught with another man and my father left her, since then my two step brothers have been living with my parent ( my mother and father) My concern is that if incase a DNA is requested by the embassy which i think is likely because of the age difference between my last brother and my step brothers and if incase it is proven that my last step brother is not my father's son whereas all along my father has been taking care of him and believe is his son, what is the embassy going to do? are they going to refuse his application for PR? What should i do if i am not sure if he is my father's son? he is only 15 years old, should i not include him as accompanying family member? then when my father becomes a permanent resident, he can then try to sponsor him, but this option may be difficult since i don't beleive my father will be making any income to sponsor him. Please help. I am very confused, i want to help this little boy, but also don't want my parents application to be rejected because of him.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Well, there are a few considerations here: 1) if it turned out that the boy was not your father's biological child, he would be ineligible to immigrate. That would not result in the refusal of the application - whether he was non-accompanying or accompanying - because he would not be inadmissible to Canada (which would make the rest of the family inadmissible) - he would simply be ineligible to immigrate as a member of your family. But would the rest of the family even want to immigrate without him? 2) He could be included as a non-accompanying dependent on the application you're going to file, and then your father could apply later to sponsor him - he would not be required to meet minimum income requirements for a dependent child. But that would not solve the problem of the question of whether or not he's your father's biological son. 3) They probably wouldn't ask for DNA tests for a non-accompanying dependent, but it's impossible to say for sure whether they would require a DNA test later - when your father applies to sponsor him.

In conclusion: wouldn't it just be better to put the matter to rest BEFORE you go into this process in the first place? A simple DNA test done by your father and the child NOW will answer the question once and for all. If it turns out they are not biologically related, your father could consider legally adopting him - which would make him eligible to immigrate with the family.

kelseyA

Aug 21, 2009
Thanks so much Robsluv for your reply. But i don't even know how to start by telling my father that he might not be his biological son, he love him so much and don't even know that my mother thinks he is not his son. I don't want to have serious problem with my father by bringing this up. What i think i should do is just have him as a non accompanying member, my father can sponsor him later, if a DNA is then require, he can then find out by himself not from me. Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why would they require a DNA test? Is he not listed on the birth certificate as the boys father? Men to not become infertile with age. I don't think immigration would see any question with a man fathering children with different women 8 years apart.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IF they requested DNA and IF he was found not to be your father's biological child, you could make an application to include him using Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds.

Don't put the cart before the horse. This is just a suspician with no actual proof, just that "his head is too big". The boy has been a part of your family for a long time and raised as your father's son. If DNA testing (IF REQUESTED BY CIC) showed there was no biological relationship, an H&C application to include him would be the best route.

RobsLuv is right, it won't hurt the rest of your family.