+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Master Degree in Law from Vietnam

trythis2007

Apr 8, 2009
Hello,

I have a friend who has Master Degree in Law (from Vietnam) with couple of years practicing law. Will Canada or USA recognize his degree as a "Skilled Worker" in order to immigrate to Canada/US ?

Thanks,
TT

FlameLily

Oct 8, 2008
Hello there Trythis.

As far as Foreign Law degrees are concerned in Canada, they have there what they call, the National Committee on Accreditation. All foreign law degrees need to be sent here for assessment. After assessment, they will tell you what you need to do to qualify to practice, this may involve writing upto 10 examination questions based on Canadian Law. It really depends on the type of system that you studied. Those who studied the common-law system will receive more exemptions and write less papers. I, for example studied law in a hybrid system and would qualify for exemption from some papers but i would still probably have to write something like 8-10 papers. The NCA also olloks at your experience, any law teaching experience etc etc. But do not think for one moment, that you can just simply arrive in Canada with a LLM from Vietnam and practice, no chance of that.

Good luck to your friend.
Flame Lily.