+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

married to a canadian

mikepsych283

Sep 25, 2006
I am an US citizen who wants to marry a canadian citizen and relocate to canada . I have searched the internet and it is confusing to me . I have a few questions.
1: After we are married can I move to canada immediately?
2: Is it true I can not work for 1 year ?
3: Do I need to have 10 thousand dollars to move to canada eventhough , we're married?

Please provide any insight and help in this and belive me I appreciate anyone taking the time to read and answer these questions and help me ( and possibly someone else)
thanks in advance
signed
desperate in maryland

mikeramma

Star Member
Sep 15, 2006
Canada
HEY
AFTER UR MARRIED UR APPLICATION TAKE ABOUT 6 MONTH TO FINISHED IF THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS.
ITS NOT TRUE THAT U CANNOT WORK FOR 1 YEAR, SO UR ABLE TO WORK WHEN U ARRIVE (NO PROBLEM WITH THIS )
AND U DONT NEED TO HAVE 10 K TO MOVE TO CANADA
GOOD LUCK

tired_of_waiting

Star Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nova Scotia
If you are not a PR or a Canadian citizen then you cannot work without HRSDC approval (except in some professions) and a valid work permit. If you apply outside of Canada (which i would urge you to do) then your application can be completed within 4-12 months. If you apply in Canada (only do this if you are desperate to be here, then your application can take between 8-18 months. During which, you can't work until you recieve Approval In Principle (around 8 months) unless you secure a work permit yourself.

You do not need to have $10,000 - but your wife would have to sponsor you and as such can't be on any social or government assistance programs.

You can come to canada provided you are legally entitled to. Marriage to a Canadian citizen does not guarantee you entry to Canada or a right to apply for PR. To become a PR you need to show proof of the marriage, complete an application form and have no criminal record (of you have convictions then get ready for a bumpy ride or a rejection).

Hope this helps.