+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mainframe jobs in Canada

May 28, 2015
Hi ,

I applied for my PR back in December and as of now I am done with my medicals , hopefully I will get my travel visa in a month or two.
I did my Bachelors in Computer Science in 2010 and have an experience of 4.7 yrs working with TCS.
I have been working in Mainframe technology as a Developer and a Support Executive for all 4.7 yrs .

I want to know how is the IT market in Canada considering Mainframe technology . What are my chances to find a suitable job considering my experience and technology.

Or Should I plan for a Masters in some specialization or pursue MBA ?

Regards,
Amrinder

Asephil

Star Member
Mar 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 March 2013
AOR Received.
13 March 2013
File Transfer...
22 April 2013
Med's Done....
9 February 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
5 August 2013
VISA ISSUED...
9 September 2013
LANDED..........
8 November 2013
Hello,

Just to make you be aware of the real situation in Canada, they don't care how long you have experience or your Bachelor degree from abroad! Your education and experience is not Canadian so you`ll have to be prepared for a real reality moving in Canada. It`s so tempting moving here but you better have enough money saved up because you`ll be looking for a job for a long run. It may even takes you months even years to get the job of your field but without the Canadian experience and education, you`re doomed here. ???

Not to scare you but I gotta inform you of the reality, I came here in 2013 in November, looked for the job on my field as a Paralegal. It took me almost 1 year and my savings was running out so I took survival jobs and ended up hating all of them. Its a minimum pay that is $11 per hour and the people who are your supervisor don't even have a damn high school diploma or even a BA on that matter. So right now I`m in school, changing my career to Community social work which it is promising indeed and I`ve already have a part time job in a youth centre and I love it.

So you know, I have a BA (Hons) in Business studies from UK, diploma in Legal Secretary & Paralegal diploma as well from UK with 3 years working in a International Law firm but all of my education & experience was useless in Canada so here I am today, almost finishing my Community service worker course in April next year and already got a job even though its a part time but its on what I`m taking at a college so If someone has told me to get back to school early, I would have done that with no regrets so it is paying off. If you see its not working for you with a job search, try to go back to school but you better target what you study.

Good luck and believe that everyone`s story is different, you might come here and get lucky, just like other`s who have moved here and get jobs with no Canadian experience so if you`re religious is time to pray and fast about it and if you`re then based on luck or your positive mind set! Cheers!

Reactions: nyaridi

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
AmrinderChattha said:
Or Should I plan for a Masters in some specialization or pursue MBA ?
Yes, do this, everything is easier with a Canadian degree. You can apply for junior roles once you finish your degree.

Abroad degree is fine.... but really doesn't matter unless it is from a very prestigious university (UCLA, Yale, Oxford, etc.)

Your experience is not Canadian so drop it.

Sumanshagka

Jun 17, 2015
As you have mentioned in the post that you have done Bachelors in Computer Science in 2010 and have an experience of 4.7 yrs working with TCS. You will get enough job opportunities in canada

Just search for mainframe jobs on various Canadian website, you would get fair idea. In general, most of the big companies included Canadian biggies are still stuck on mainframe so they do need mainframe developers. Just work on your skills gain knowledge of advance concepts such as performance optimization, web services, MQ, CICS TS 3.1 etc and surely there will be more opportunities.

It will be great if you can apply for Masters in some specialization or pursue MBA in Canada.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Check out all the Telecom,Banks and Insurance companies in Toronto area and Montreal. There are many others like US Steel, Canadian Railways. Usually it will be very large companies who are still using Mainframe.

One of my friends used to work in Mainframe worked for I think RBC, then US Steel. He changed his field after doing MBA. He used to say Mainframe skills are difficult to find, unfortunately he said they don't want pay premium salaries for shrinking pool of people, so they just offshore the work.

If you want to invest time and money into MBA, make sure university is top notch.

MohitAgg

Aug 16, 2015
Sumanshagka said:
As you have mentioned in the post that you have done Bachelors in Computer Science in 2010 and have an experience of 4.7 yrs working with TCS. You will get enough job opportunities in canada

Just search for mainframe jobs on various Canadian website, you would get fair idea. In general, most of the big companies included Canadian biggies are still stuck on mainframe so they do need mainframe developers. Just work on your skills gain knowledge of advance concepts such as performance optimization, web services, MQ, CICS TS 3.1 etc and surely there will be more opportunities.

It will be great if you can apply for Masters in some specialization or pursue MBA in Canada.
Hi,

are you sure about it? I am even from mainframe with 6 years of experience with nice savory MNCs and looking for PR.

I have checked lots of websites and got scared :( after seeing the result.

Cheers!

Reactions: Vijayjessy

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
MohitAgg said:
Hi,

are you sure about it? I am even from mainframe with 6 years of experience with nice savory MNCs and looking for PR.

I have checked lots of websites and got scared :( after seeing the result.

Cheers!
Yes he is right, there are plenty of opportunities around.

Are your 6 years of experience Canadian? If not please drop it and start as a junior.

prasad.imf

Sep 17, 2015
HI Mohit,

presently I am in toronto and looking for Mainframe job.
I am having over 8 years of experience on Mainframe technology .
Please let me know if you have any Mainframe openings with in your circle. My mail id prasad.imf@gmail.com

Regards
Prasad

MohitAgg

Aug 16, 2015
Jalex23 said:
Yes he is right, there are plenty of opportunities around.

Are your 6 years of experience Canadian? If not please drop it and start as a junior.

No yaar, I am having mainframe exp from indian IT. But I didnt get meaning of ur statement 'drop it and start as a junior'?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
MohitAgg said:
No yaar, I am having mainframe exp from indian IT. But I didnt get meaning of ur statement 'drop it and start as a junior'?
The only experience that counts is Canadian, so saying that you have Indian experience is irrelevant.

qureishi

Dec 9, 2011
Hi Mohit,

Do you have PR and you are already in Canada ?

Please clarify so that people can reply accordingly.

Reg.
Q.

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun
Mainframe opportunities are very less. The only ones you can find are around Toronto. I am in Toronto and I was searching for 4 months before I got an interview call. I was lucky that I was offered that position.

My hiring manager later told that they had received more than 40 resumes and about 10 people were interviewed before selecting me. He said it is very easy to hire mainframe resources as there are many people in the job market.

Manjeera

Sep 17, 2018
Hyderabad
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi,

Im a mainframe developer and am in dilemma which NOC to choose and submit in the express entry form. My manager is also not sure of this. Based on the answer you provide, I will proceed with the next steps. Could someone please let me know the job title and NOC code which supports my role of Mainframe Developer

Pravinpatil

Oct 20, 2018
I am having 10 plus years of experience in Mainframe and in search of same question on the job market in Canada for this skill set.

I could see mainframe job openings when Googleed but anyone who is working there can tell the real scenario.