+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost in Toronto (how to proceed with career)

Lana

Star Member
Jul 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
14 June 2010
Hi,
this is my story...

I was born in Russia, have PR and work as a legal assistant/receptionist.

I have graduted Russian State University for the Humanities in 2001 (Diploma with Honour), Managament and Organization.
I spent one semester in Beloit College, Wisconsin studying Economics. I have been working in advertising area for 8 years (international agencies, Moscow) in Client Service Department.

However, I am PR resident now but I cannot apply for a job in advertising. HR says that Canadian experience in law company is totally different and I am almost 2 years out of business. I'd love to come back to this job but it seems to me its closed.

I can easily communicate with people but I don't want to do it (after crazy phone calls I try to avoid people).
I make beautiful pictures as photographer. I was a horse rider for five years. I do not have kids and I am 32 y.o.

And the main point I am lost in Toronto. I don't want to be in law office. I want to move on. I cannot be in advertising (see above my reasons).

My English is not so bad:)
Guys, any ideas about esucation? Area?

I know it sounds weird. But I am really lost.
THANKS

sttn

Dec 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes

Lana

Star Member
Jul 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
14 June 2010
May ask you why?

born2code

Jan 4, 2012
Lana,

I understand your situation. While getting PR might be easy, but many forget that's only one problem. The real problems start after you land in Canada.

I would suggest continue working in your current field. Start building your network in advertising. Look up city sponsored programs. I don't know which city you're in, but Toronto, Brampton, Mississauga, York all offer community programs. Some of them are free. Attending these you might be able build a network, the facilitators of these classes usually have a good standing in the community. Also, you may want to approach YMCA. They offer job finding services, and sometimes recommend people to prospective employers. Perhaps you could request them to have you as a volunteer in their public relations and advertising work. Once you've completed 2-3 such gigs you would have acquired the Canadian experience.

Good luck!!!

Cheers...

Lana

Star Member
Jul 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
14 June 2010
Dear Born2code,
Thanks for your ideas and support! I will follow up your advise defenitely!

Good luck!

Lana

PS
Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts.

EnigmaIr

Feb 17, 2008
Lana,
I'm also a PR holder and will come to Toronto at the end of April. I'm currently working as a lawyer in Armenia and in the beggining I'm planning to work as a legal assistant in Toronto (I have good knowledge of English). Can you tell me, was it difficult to enter this position for you? Are there any tips I can do after the arrival to become a legal assistant?
I'm sorry I can't answer your question properly, but I know that there is a Carreer Bridge Program in Ontario, apply and they will give you the solution.

japeedee

Star Member
Oct 13, 2011
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
Med's Request
06-18-2011
Med's Done....
09-16-2011
Passport Req..
1-18-12
VISA ISSUED...
2-23-12
LANDED..........
May 11, 2012 Toronto
For a start, I'm an accountant in the Philippines. So I guess we have the same dilemma, I hold a Canadian desgination as a "Certified Accounting Technician" but I think that's not enough...I have my VISA and we are planning to move in May 2012 in Toronto. I was searching in the internet and I came across with CGA, Certified General Accountant designation and I made al lot of research on it on how can I obtain the designation. There was an inquiry, it may be possible that my Bachelor's Degree in my birth country may be qualified for Transfer Credit, but still, I have to take a some subjects.

I have encountered many immigrants that find it difficult to start in Canada that's why I'm planning to continue my education. I am not an A student rather an average.

I'm also into photography mainly in Portraiture, so I just want to know if that can pay the rent :), if so then how?

and what jobs await for new landed immigrants? (like me when i get there)

Thanks and Godbless

Amber12

Mar 26, 2012
Lana,
I'm also a PR holder and will come to Toronto at the end of April. I'm currently working as a lawyer in Armenia and in the beggining I'm planning to work as a legal assistant in Toronto (I have good knowledge of English). Can you tell me, was it difficult to enter this position for you? Are there any tips I can do after the arrival to become a legal assistant?
I'm sorry I can't answer your question properly, but I know that there is a Carreer Bridge Program in Ontario, apply and they will give you the solution.

Dear Enigmair,

I was accidently got this position. My neighbour's spouse was looking for a legal assistant/receptionist. You should understand that the best idea is continue your education here and be a lawyer. That's story of my boss who was a judge and spent approximately 7 years to get license. Wish you a good luck and never give up!

Lana