+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Vancouver, BC and commuting to U.S. to maintain the status.

Jun 23, 2020
Hello, I'm a Canadian PR living near the border of WA and BC. I need to maintain my U.S. status by commuting to the U.S. two times a week for work. I know a lot people doing the same thing across the border.

It's hard to find an affordable as office in Blaine, WA, which is the nearest town to the border. However, it's easy to find a house with multiple rooms. Is there anyone in a similar situation that you need an office in Blain for commuting? I want to share a house with you to minimize the cost for all of us.

I'm on GC commuter status as well. We can also share our knowledge regarding getting and maintaining the status.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Off topic question, but...
Are you juggling both PR and GC residency obligations simultaneously?! Yikes!

As you probably already know, crossing into the U.S. and returning the next day (by 11:59 PM) still counts as two days in Canada, but does the same apply when coming into Canada for 2 days, from the GC perspective?

Jun 23, 2020
Hi Ponga, I'm taking commuter status on the green card, so I'm exempted from residency obligation on the U.S. side. But I need to perform my job in the U.S.

I sleep in Canada everyday and commute to the U.S. in the morning.

saiajay001

Star Member
Sep 2, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Halifax
App. Filed.......
21-11-2019
AOR Received.
22-11-2019
@Ponga - I will be moving to Detroit next month and want to daily go to Windsor for couple of hours and come back to US. If I go to Canada just for couple of hours is it still counted as a day when I apply for citizenship?

Jun 23, 2020
@Ponga - I will be moving to Detroit next month and want to daily go to Windsor for couple of hours and come back to US. If I go to Canada just for couple of hours is it still counted as a day when I apply for citizenship?
Technically, it counts one day. However, when you apply for the PR renew, you need to provide your residency proves. Such as rent contract, utility bills. Becasue the Canadian boarder doesn't record/scan your PR cards every time you cross.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Technically, it counts one day. However, when you apply for the PR renew, you need to provide your residency proves. Such as rent contract, utility bills. Becasue the Canadian boarder doesn't record/scan your PR cards every time you cross.
A CBSA officer may not scan the PR card, but you can bet they know when a PR has re-entered Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/notice-permanent-resident-card-redesign.html

When a PR is moving through a land border crossing, an RFID-enabled PR card is securely and accurately read by readers. As the RFID chip is read, the unique identifier is transmitted to a secure database and acts as the key to authorize the return of the traveller’s biographical information from the database. The information is displayed to the Border Service Officer as the vehicle pulls up to the inspection booth.

bhullarg

Feb 10, 2023
Hello, I'm a Canadian PR living near the border of WA and BC. I need to maintain my U.S. status by commuting to the U.S. two times a week for work. I know a lot people doing the same thing across the border.

It's hard to find an affordable as office in Blaine, WA, which is the nearest town to the border. However, it's easy to find a house with multiple rooms. Is there anyone in a similar situation that you need an office in Blain for commuting? I want to share a house with you to minimize the cost for all of us.

I'm on GC commuter status as well. We can also share our knowledge regarding getting and maintaining the status.
I am about to do the same.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you never live in Canada you potentially put yourself at risk especially if a new government comes into power. The conservatives had the intent to reside requirement to receive citizenship. Would also expect some pushback from both the US and Canadian side with your crossing patterns. Getting citizenship when never living in Canada is of course not in the spirit of the law. You will also lack much proof of your time in Canada except entry and exit logs. It is possible but it will likely lead to something like secondary review at the very least.

• Wow
Reactions: vkamath

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
If you never live in Canada you potentially put yourself at risk especially if a new government comes into power. The conservatives had the intent to reside requirement to receive citizenship. Would also expect some pushback from both the US and Canadian side with your crossing patterns. Getting citizenship when never living in Canada is of course not in the spirit of the law. You will also lack much proof of your time in Canada except entry and exit logs. It is possible but it will likely lead to something like secondary review at the very least.
Do you have any link for this Conservative Residency requirement?

pvs21

Sep 9, 2020
I'm looking to do something similar. Did you already find a place to rent yet? How has your commuting experience been so far?