+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live in Canada, Work in USA without H1B??

sumit8383

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
If someone's H1B extension gets denied, is it possible to live in Canada as a PR and work remote for a US employer (assuming the employer agrees to that) And if yes, is it also possible to get a US business visa (B1/B2) and make an occasional (few times a month) trip to the employer location in US (again that's dependent on business visa getting approved)

I am currently on H1B in the USA and plan to move to Canada and plan to start daily commute between US and Canada, living in Canada and working in the USA. The way things are going there is a possibility of my H1B extension getting denied, and I am trying to explore if going the business visa route is the way to go for me.

Reactions: krishna3456

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
You can work from Canada. But you cannot travel using B1 B2 for work purposes. If they find out, you and your employer will have serious repercussions

Reactions: sumit8383

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
We had staff from Canadian branch of my company visiting US branch for short duration ( for ex - 4 day workshop) on B1. It's going to be tricky in your case since you would be working remotely for US employer.

Did you work out payroll arrangement with your employer? Would your payroll run in USA or Canada?

Reactions: sumit8383

sumit8383

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
You can work from Canada. But you cannot travel using B1 B2 for work purposes. If they find out, you and your employer will have serious repercussions
Thanks for your response. and you think i can't travel from Canada to US on B1, even though i do it only once or twice a month? would that be a incorrect usage of B1/B2

sumit8383

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
We had staff from Canadian branch of my company visiting US branch for short duration ( for ex - 4 day workshop) on B1. It's going to be tricky in your case since you would be working remotely for US employer.

Did you work out payroll arrangement with your employer? Would your payroll run in USA or Canada?
Right now still hoping for the H1 extension, have discussed enough so that I know working remotely is a possibility but for that, to work I will have to show up in person from time to time (frequency can be negotiated).
Payroll would definitely be run from the US, since my company does not have a presence in Canada.