+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter requesting biometrics - after passing medicals

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Hi All,

As part of our Express Entry (EE) application, under CEC, my spouse has been asked to go for his biometrics - despite living in Canada. I was wondering why I (the main applicant) was not asked. Though we made our EE application while he was in the US for an internship, he's now in Canada. The biometrics letter request was addressed to our current address (in Canada). Anyone in the same shoes or with an idea?

Also, could this request be because we did not update his address when he left the US and returned to Canada where we have been living for 5 years. We just realized CIC requires that one needs to update his address or any change. Is it okay to go ahead and update his address (to Canada) now - or we should just wait and first go ahead to do the biometrics in the US as he has a US visitor visa? If yes, will he have to state the date he left the US (October) or the date his address is updated (e.g., today). Another thing is, he has to travel to France in January 31 and will be away for 4 months.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi All,

As part of our Express Entry (EE) application, under CEC, my spouse has been asked to go for his biometrics - despite living in Canada. I was wondering why I (the main applicant) was not asked. Though we made our EE application while he was in the US for an internship, he's now in Canada. The biometrics letter request was addressed to our current address (in Canada). Anyone in the same shoes or with an idea?

Also, could this request be because we did not update his address when he left the US and returned to Canada where we have been living for 5 years. We just realized CIC requires that one needs to update his address or any change. Is it okay to go ahead and update his address (to Canada) now - or we should just wait and first go ahead to do the biometrics in the US as he has a US visitor visa? If yes, will he have to state the date he left the US (October) or the date his address is updated (e.g., today). Another thing is, he has to travel to France in January 31 and will be away for 4 months.
Your application was submitted while in the US, and that was the country of residence at that time. So it's normal that he received biometrics request.
You need to update IRCC of your change of address via CSE Webform. If you had done that before, he wouldn't have received it.
Applicants from inside Canada are temporarily exempt from giving biometrics until a new system is in place there for biometrics collection. But he's considered an outland applicant.
Raise a CSE for address change, regardless of whether you gave biometrics or not. My opinion is just have him give his biometrics, as he already received the request.
The new address can be updated as the day he left the US.

For his travel to France, he will have another address, he will have to update that as well.

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Great response @Peacekeeper87. Thanks. It is additionally stated in the letter that he has to leave Canada to give the biometrics if already in Canada. So, I suspect (in line with your opinion) that he should just go to the US to have his biometrics collected - though not sure yet if this can be done with a tourist visa? Will it be okay to use the second day after arrival from the US as the new date of living in Canada.

Why we are being careful is our first application was returned owing to issues with a mistake in dates of living in a country which is different from the date in the police report. Specifically, there was a mistake in dates of 'entering' and 'leaving' a country (for which police certificate is required) in our application page - though the corrects dates are on the stamped pages of my passport. Also, he just recently applied for a new TRV, after the expiration of the first one (as a foreign student in Canada). The application was approved and in the application, Canada has been stated as the current address.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Great response @Peacekeeper87. Thanks. It is additionally stated in the letter that he has to leave Canada to give the biometrics if already in Canada. So, I suspect (in line with your opinion) that he should just go to the US to have his biometrics collected - though not sure yet if this can be done with a tourist visa? Will it be okay to use the second day after arrival from the US as the new date of living in Canada.

Why we are being careful is our first application was returned owing to issues with a mistake in dates of living in a country which is different from the date in the police report. Specifically, there was a mistake in dates of 'entering' and 'leaving' a country (for which police certificate is required) in our application page - though the corrects dates are on the stamped pages of my passport. Also, he just recently applied for a new TRV, after the expiration of the first one (as a foreign student in Canada). The application was approved and in the application, Canada has been stated as the current address.
Sure it can be done with tourist visa. I don't see why not. He can be honest about his intentions, saying he's been request to go the nearest country to give biometrics for the purposes of a Canadian permanent residency application. Anyway yes for sure he has to give biometrics outside Canada. It can be due to 2 main reasons.
1/His application is being processed in a visa office outside Canada.
2/His application is filed as US being his country of residence, therefore making him de facto an outland applicant.

Second day from arrival for address update works as well. The importance now is to just notify them of this address change to your specific PR application, even if a TRV has been approved under a Canadian address.

Police reports validity is another topic. Those are indeed very sensitive. It needs to be issued the day after the exit stamp date on your passport. If it was the same day, that wouldn't be valid (If that's indeed what happened). But you shouldn't worry about that at this stage, even if spouse returns to the US. Application has been locked upon submission, and will be evaluated as such. If officer/agent wants a new US PCC because he went there again, he/she will send an ADR.

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Thanks @Peacekeeper87. That's helpful!

Anyone knows what's next to expect from CIC after biometrics? As in what stage am I in - I'm assuming employment checks would have been conducted before asking for biometrics? Thanks for relieving me of my anxiety. Won't be a good experience to have my application returned the second time.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Thanks @Peacekeeper87. That's helpful!

Anyone knows what's next to expect from CIC after biometrics? As in what stage am I in - I'm assuming employment checks would have been conducted before asking for biometrics? Thanks for relieving me of my anxiety. Won't be a good experience to have my application returned the second time.
If you received biometrics, it's also very likely you also passed R10 (Completeness Check), and Medicals as well.
A major chunk of rejections actually happen at completeness check stage, and it's either due to a missing document, or an unacceptable one. If you passed this part, it means your application is complete! You can throw out a sigh of relief...

However, it doesn't mean employment checks have been conducted yet, as that's most usually done at "Eligibility" stage. As far as work experience is concerned, that's where they confront your details entered in your EE profile against the content of the reference letter and other employment document you may have provided (duties, dates, full/part-time, hours, duration...etc). I'm not sure when you submitted your application, but I'm guessing it's a relatively fresh one, like 30-45 days old. Right? If so, it might not be there yet.

After biometrics are given, the most difficult part kicks in. Waiting...
Only thing you can do is order GCMS notes if you want to have full details of your application.

Reactions: rovar473 and jackan

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Thanks @Peacekeeper87!!!

Not fresh - ~ 4 months. I submitted my application on August 22, 3 months after receiving an ITA (on May 22, 2018).

My understanding is ordering GCMS notes may prolong an application. Is that right? Glad my application is complete - so at least I can suspect no issues with wrong dates of residence on my application (against the dates on police certificate)

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Thanks @Peacekeeper87!!!

Not fresh - ~ 4 months. I submitted my application on August 22, 3 months after receiving an ITA (on May 22, 2018).

My understanding is ordering GCMS notes may prolong an application. Is that right? Glad my application is complete - so at least I can suspect no issues with wrong dates of residence on my application (against the dates on police certificate)
Oh ok 4 months! I guess you were among those who received biometrics request much later. Many receive them same day as Medicals Passed.
So yeah you definitely passed Completeness check, and they're probably working on your eligibility now, if it's not already done. Although it's just speculation, and only GCMS notes will confirm or not.

No, order GCMS notes will have no effect whatsoever on the processing time of your application. It just takes 30 days or so for you to receive them.
4 months mark is kind of the sweet spot to order them to see at what stage you're at at the time you request them. I myself am waiting for the 120 day mark to order them.

Because you're inside Canada, you can order them yourself. Here is the link:
https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do
One thing to keep in mind though. GCMS notes are generated approx. 24 hours after the request is made, but you get them after a month. Yeah it's weird. So the day you receive them, it shows you the stage of your application a month earlier...

Reactions: vuta and jackan

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks @Peacekeeper87!!!
My understanding is ordering GCMS notes may prolong an application. Is that right?
No, unless you request the actual hardcopy paper file (don't do that!) : ) You need to ask for the electronic notes, which are just a download from the system. No impact on processing.

Reactions: jackan

dauntless84

Sep 25, 2017
Hi Guys,

AOR Feb 15th, got my Medicals passed three days ago. Got my BIL yesterday. What stage of the application am I in currently? Any response would certainly help. Its been 50 days since my AOR so far.

Best,

Dan

ono12

Dec 13, 2018
Hi Peacekeeper87,

AOR 22 feb
MEP 10th April
Bil for my spouse only 10th april

my concern is that i am the primary applicant and i am yet to receive my Biometrics instruction letter.
should i be worried
is there hope of receiving mine anytime soon?

Rahultulsani

Apr 4, 2019
AOR is 22 feb
Medicals cleared on 10th april,
But no update on biometric side as i have seen in other cases they receive biometric request at the same time when they clear medicals, any idea what this is?? when i can expect my biometric letter?

kirushna

Oct 5, 2018
Bangalore
Hello People,

I encounter some strange scenarios everytime..

Now it is a doubt if i passed Medical or not.

AOR - 25 May 2019
BIL- 5 July

No update on my Medical Exam!!! What I believed is only after MEP, we will be requested for Biometric.

Could someone kindly clarify if reception of BIL implies I have passed Medical?

Thanks in advance..
Good Day!

dauntless84

Sep 25, 2017
Hello People,

AOR - 25 May 2019
BIL- 5 July

No update on my Medical Exam!!! What I believed is only after MEP, we will be requested for Biometric.

Thanks in advance..
Good Day!
Your medicals may have passed, the system does not update soon. If you got your BIL, go ahead and get that done.

Goodluck!

Reactions: rovar473

rovar473

Star Member
Feb 2, 2019
Hello People,

AOR - 25 May 2019
BIL- 5 July

Thanks in advance..
Good Day!
Hi Kirushna, I have same scenario. Could you please tell me when you got medicals passed? Thank you in advance.