+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Left Canada as a minor

Discussion in 'Permanent Residency Obligations' started by Ishanveersg, Jun 22, 2019.

  1. Hello!
    My parents and I had moved to Canada in 2005 (I was 5 years old) after receiving a PR status. However, we have stayed there for 1 month only before returning back to Mauritius; without renouncing our PR status. Now I am 19 years old, have completed my A-Levels and have already been accepted at the University of Ottawa. Unfortunately, I was completely unaware that I could apply for a PRTD and instead applied for a student visa. Around 3 weeks later (on the 9th of May) I received a mail from PRETIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca informing me that I should either renounce my PR status to get a student visa or renew my PR status only if I do meet the permanent residency requirements. I have filled and signed the IMM 5782 : Application to voluntarily renounce permanent resident status form since I knew that I did not meet the permanent residency requirements and subsequently got my student visa on the 22nd of May. Only today have I come to know via a friend that I could have applied for a PRTD since I was still a minor when my parents returned back to Mauritius. Is it too late to apply for a PRTD now? If yes, when should I be able to re-apply for a PR? Please contact me as soon as possible.

    Thanks and regards,
    Ishanveer Sharma Gobin
  2. Hi

    1. Too late, you have already renounced your PR.
    scylla likes this.
  3. You weren’t guaranteed a prtd because you left as a minor. Just look a few posts down. Similar case and the prtd was refused even though they were removed as a minor.
  4. Does it become more difficult to apply for a PR if I have previously renounced?
  5. No - it makes no difference.
  6. How much time does it usually take to reissue a PR card after I have completed my 5yr bachelor's degree (with COOP) in Canada?
  7. Your PR card isn't going to be re-issued. You are going to have to qualify and apply for PR again from scratch. This means you are going to have to apply for PR through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.
  8. And how much time does this usually take?
  9. That's a very difficult question to answer since it depends on how soon you qualify to apply and whether you are selected. It could be anywhere from six months to never. If PR is a priority, you need to dedicate time to researching Canada's immigration programs to understand what it takes to qualify and apply. Generally speaking, you will need at least one year of full time paid work experience to qualify (work experience gained while studying in Canada including your coop cannot be counted). Many of Canada's immigration programs are also points-based, meaning those with the most points are selected. I would recommend that you start by researching the Express Entry program. This is a points-based program and right now you need 460+ points to be selected.
    Ishanveersg likes this.
  10. Okay, thank you so much.

Share This Page