+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving work experience out

alexsmith14

Jan 1, 2019
Hello, I have worked for 3-4 weeks after completing my studies and before applying for my work permit.

Can I leave that experience out when applying for express entry PR? I will mention that I worked full-time for this company, since the date i applied for my work permit.

Would you advice to write the letter of explanation, since I wasn't supposed to work after completing my studies?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Since you seem to be aware you weren't supposed to work after completing your studies but before you applied for a work permit, I suggest you consult with a lawyer, as you could be placed into removal proceedings over this.

Reactions: alexsmith14

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
Hello, I have worked for 3-4 weeks after completing my studies and before applying for my work permit.

Can I leave that experience out when applying for express entry PR? I will mention that I worked full-time for this company, since the date i applied for my work permit.

Would you advice to write the letter of explanation, since I wasn't supposed to work after completing my studies?
This depends on what you mean by "completing" your studies. Just because classes have ended doesn't mean you've graduated. If you worked right after classes were done but you hadn't graduated yet, it won't be as bad as if you worked after graduation without a work permit. I would speak to a consultant about the right way to proceed in this case.

alexsmith14

Jan 1, 2019
This depends on what you mean by "completing" your studies. Just because classes have ended doesn't mean you've graduated. If you worked right after classes were done but you hadn't graduated yet, it won't be as bad as if you worked after graduation without a work permit. I would speak to a consultant about the right way to proceed in this case.
Thank you for your reply @shannonxtreme and @primaprime

To be exact here's what happened:

May 17 - all final exams are done. I switched to a full-time job after that
June 9 - received a letter that stated that I satisfied all the requirements for graduation
June 17 - graduated (received diploma)
July 6 - applied for the work permit

I was working full-time throughout whole this time starting May 17 (the day final exams were completed)

I believe I was not supposed to be working between June 9 and July 6

I shall speak to lawyer OR a consultant

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Thank you for your reply @shannonxtreme and @primaprime

To be exact here's what happened:

May 17 - all final exams are done. I switched to a full-time job after that
June 9 - received a letter that stated that I satisfied all the requirements for graduation
June 17 - graduated (received diploma)
July 6 - applied for the work permit

I was working full-time throughout whole this time starting May 17 (the day final exams were completed)

I believe I was not supposed to be working between June 9 and July 6
Yes, so if you were working between those two dates that would be a problem.

I'm not an expert, but working full-time from May 17 to June 9 could also be a grey area, since you're only allowed to do that during "scheduled breaks." Whether that applies to the time between your final exams and official date of program completion is debatable.

alexsmith14

Jan 1, 2019
Yes, so if you were working between those two dates that would be a problem.

I'm not an expert, but working full-time from May 17 to June 9 could also be a grey area, since you're only allowed to do that during "scheduled breaks." Whether that applies to the time between your final exams and official date of program completion is debatable.
Thank you for your reply.

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
Thank you for your reply.
Just to be safe, I would reach out to @CitImmCanada on Twitter to ask how big of an issue this would be.

Like what @primaprime said, it is a grey area and might be entirely up to the case officer working on your file. I find that IRCC is reasonable enough when it comes to smaller amounts of time like yours, as opposed to people who've worked for months and months illegally.

Again, though, your best bet is complete honesty and a consultation with an immigration lawyer or certified consultant.

• Love