+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada on an In Spousal Sponsor App

Jun 25, 2005
I am Cdn my husband is American. We sent everything in to CIC and it was received on March.13th. My father-in-law was in a serious car accident and my husband needed to go to his home town. He left April.1st. I understand that there is a chance that he could be denied entry back to Canada. He is driving back and I need to know what he needs to tell IO at border crossing. Should he tell them that we have an inland spousal application submitted? Any help would be greatly appreciated

BCbound

Star Member
Jan 4, 2005
You are leaving out some info. Was your husband legally in Canada before he went home? ie. was he on a valid tourist visa or extension?

If he was legally in Canada there is no reason why he should be denied entry on his return.

Jun 25, 2005
BcBound, Thanks for the response, yes he was legally in Canada. We applied to have his visitor status extended in Nov/05 and it was approved.

BCbound

Star Member
Jan 4, 2005
Then he should have no problem. He should tell them exactly why he is entering Canada ie. to rejoin his wife and that he is in the process of an In Canada sponsorship application. They may ask a few more questions but he has done nothing wrong and has nothing to hide.