+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Last name spelling

craig53

Feb 1, 2006
Hi-- Here's kind of an odd question-- when my grandfather left Canada the spelling on our last name somehow got changed from Ramsay to Ramsey. Now that we are immigrating back as provincial nominees to PE, I would like to return to that spelling. Anyone ever hear of whether name change is easy to do at this point(medicals done, waiting PR visa) or easier to wait until landing then go through name change processs then? Any thoughts are appreciated--

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

craig53 said:
Hi-- Here's kind of an odd question-- when my grandfather left Canada the spelling on our last name somehow got changed from Ramsay to Ramsey. Now that we are immigrating back as provincial nominees to PE, I would like to return to that spelling. Anyone ever hear of whether name change is easy to do at this point(medicals done, waiting PR visa) or easier to wait until landing then go through name change processs then? Any thoughts are appreciated--
Wait until you land, if you do it now, you will have to have ammended passport and all the application, plus there is a good chance CHC will request new pccs in the Ramsay surname. If you wait until you are in Canada, you will still have to change the PR card and other docs, but at least it won't effect your application.

PMM

Rafi

May 2, 2007
craig53 said:

edgy555

Aug 21, 2007
Realizing that this question was asked two years ago, I'm posting only in case someone else has this question. I had a similar quandry. My last name is French in origin but had been anglicized over time (the ending had been changed from "ieu" to "ew". I had been told by several people in Quebec (where I'm headed) that the name sounded/looked a little weird to them. So, prompted by that, I put through a name change here (US) and when my passport was requested I simply sent the new US passport and the judge's name change order. It couldn't have been simpler -- the consulate issued the visa to the new passport.

I had checked with the consulate before hand (via email) and so I guess that would be good advice for anyone, but as for me, I had no problems and now, happily all of my new documents for my new life in Canada will be in my historically accurate name. ;-)

Best of luck to everyone.