+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing turnaround time (PR for now, citizenship later)

Vin

Jun 4, 2006
I have received my PRV, and now just need to Land in Canada. Here is my intent:

Initially I would like to simply fulfill the minimum requirements for maintaining PR status (2 out of 5 years). Later I plan to live in Canada the 3 out of 4 years it takes to be eligible to apply for citizenship. So my current plan is to fly into Vancouver this spring, to officially 'Land' -- but I will be turning right back around and flying home (USA). This fall, I will then drive into B.C. with my vehicle, pulling a small travel trailer. I intend to live in my trailer, and travel around a bit each time I am up there.

Questions:
1) first of all -- will I receive any flak from Canadian Immigration for being in the country only 4-1/2 months each year? Will they frown on my living in an RV, and traveling around?

2) Obviously I will be bringing NO belongings with me when I Land. And what I bring with me within the first year following my Landing will be limited to my tow vehicle, my travel trailer, a laptop computer, and basic clothing, kitchen utensils, plus other necessary RV'ing supplies. In this case, I assume I will just have to bite the bullet eventually, and pay import taxes on belongings that I DO actually currently own -- but that I will not be bringing into the country within one year of Landing.

3) How does this scenario impact the documentation that I must acquire after landing?

This is my interpretation -- please correct me where I am wrong:
SIN = yes, I will need to apply upon first Landing
Health Insur Card = intially no (because I will not be living in the country at least 6 months per year ... therefore, not eligible)
Driver's License = ?? can I apply in the fall, after I drive up there?

4) And last but not least -- given all of the above -- what is the minimum length of time you recommend I plan on staying in Vancouver when I first Land? Would it take more than one business day to apply for a SIN?

In general -- there must be many other US citizens doing essentially the same thing (reverse snowbirding). They may never intend to become a Canadian citizen -- but other than that, their situation is pretty similar to mine. In this case, do their vehicles get officially "imported"? What about "List of Goods to Follow" -- do they even need one of those?

What am I overlooking/forgetting/misunderstanding?

Thanks so very much for any guidance you can give me!!
Vin