+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Questions Please?

rthaniks

Apr 19, 2004
Hi

As planned I am going to land in Canada from Buffalo, NY and coming back to USA after 4 days to continue my work in USA, and I am planning to work in USA as long as I can to retain my PR in Canada. I am going to give one my friend’s mailing address in Canada to receive PR card, and SIN card. Also I have applied for PR in USA which is currently under process, and which may take another 6 months to 18 months. Can anyone please clarify the following questions. Thanks for your help.

1. I am going use two way rental car from Buffalo, NY to land in Canada, stay 4 days in Canada, and come back to Buffalo, NY. Will it be a problem if I use rental car to land and come back and what should I say if I am asked anything about two way rental car? or Should I use one way rental from Buffalo, NY to Toronto, Canada?

2. Currently I do not have list of “Goods to follow”. Do I need to give them in advance?, and what will happen if I take the goods later to Canada?

3. Recently I purchased a 10 ounces Gold ( Canadian Maple Coin ) coin worth about USD 6500. If I am going to settle in Canada even after 18 months ( for example) definitely I will take this gold to Canada. If that is the case do I need to give them the list mentioning the Gold Coins.

4. If I take the gold coins with me now for completing my landing procedure, can I use the worth of Gold as part of my Proof of Fund.

5. What are the different modes of showing my Proof of Fund? Cashier's check, etc

6. Do I need to inform officially with CIC before leaving Canada to USA? If so what should I say, where and when?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rthaniks said:
Hi

As planned I am going to land in Canada from Buffalo, NY and coming back to USA after 4 days to continue my work in USA, and I am planning to work in USA as long as I can to retain my PR in Canada. I am going to give one my friend’s mailing address in Canada to receive PR card, and SIN card. Also I have applied for PR in USA which is currently under process, and which may take another 6 months to 18 months. Can anyone please clarify the following questions. Thanks for your help.

You know you will not be able to keep both Canadian PR and US green card because of the residency requirements.

1. I am going use two way rental car from Buffalo, NY to land in Canada, stay 4 days in Canada, and come back to Buffalo, NY. Will it be a problem if I use rental car to land and come back and what should I say if I am asked anything about two way rental car? or Should I use one way rental from Buffalo, NY to Toronto, Canada?

Two way rental should be fine, CBSA understands that Immigrants may have to return to clear up their affairs.

2. Currently I do not have list of “Goods to follow”. Do I need to give them in advance?, and what will happen if I take the goods later to Canada?

Yes, if you don't you will pay duty and taxes on any goods you bring into Canada.

3. Recently I purchased a 10 ounces Gold ( Canadian Maple Coin ) coin worth about USD 6500. If I am going to settle in Canada even after 18 months ( for example) definitely I will take this gold to Canada. If that is the case do I need to give them the list mentioning the Gold Coins.

Yes, although it should not be necessary, it is better to be safe than sorry.

4. If I take the gold coins with me now for completing my landing procedure, can I use the worth of Gold as part of my Proof of Fund.

NO.

5. What are the different modes of showing my Proof of Fund? Cashier's check, etc

A receipt dated that day from an ATM, letter from bank, travellers cheques.

6. Do I need to inform officially with CIC before leaving Canada to USA? If so what should I say, where and when?
No.

PMM