+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing questions- please help ?

stephenK

Apr 21, 2009
Hello everyone,

I have just received my Permanent Residence Visa and now I'm getting ready for the landing. My spouse (Canadian) and myself live in the Cayman Islands and we plan to settle to Canada next year April. However, we are planning to visit Toronto next month to land in Canada so I can complete my PR process and we would have the PR sent to her sisters address in Vancouver. My settle area is Vancouver.

The questions I have are as follow:
1) Can I travel to Canada to complete my PR process and not to settle just yet?
2) Will I get my PR Card mailed to her sisters home without a problem?
3) Is this all Legal?

Thanks

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Hey there, first congrats for the PR, to answer your question:
1-yes you can travel to activate the PR and not settle yet.
2- yes you can give the immigration officer on the landing port her sister address, and her her sister can send it to you, of course by registered mail so it won't be lost.
3-It is legal, but wait other people reply to you to be sure you can do it.
Good luck, and welcome to canada

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

This might sound fishy but here's the explanation. They will only mail PR cards to a Canadian address. Even though you are not settling, your Canadian address is your sister's address. So fine. Having a PR card does not mean you have to settle here now. There is no requirement for that and they do not monitor it. However, the catch is that you MUST reside in Canada for 2 years out of 5 to maintain the residency requirements for PR. And this is a rolling date so they are always counting and so should a PR who is out of the country for extended periods. If you decide to wait 3 years or more to settle in Canada, you will lose your PR status and have to start all over again.

Good luck! Vancouver is beautiful! And congrats on your new status in Canada!

stephenK

Apr 21, 2009
Thanks very much rjessome- I'm excited---I just don't want to be screwed when I get to the border about not being able to do the landing because I'm there for a vacation.