+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing queries-help!

Schmutz

May 29, 2010
I recently received my immigration visa in the FSW category which is valid till March ‘11. However, I do not intend to move to Canada immediately. I plan to live in my home country for the next year for personal reasons. I will be making my entry into Canada at Vancouver in September ’10. I have a few queries regarding some issues and would be really grateful if someone could shed some light on them.

1. I will be staying with family friends when I enter and will give their address at the POE. Does that mean I will need to be there till the permanent residence card arrives? I see that there is a possibility that it might take longer than 30 days for the card to arrive (which would definitely means I’d be over staying my welcome!!!). Can my friends collect the card on my behalf and courier it to me instead? Will I need to provide them (my friends) with some sort of authorization letter??? Has anyone faced any problems with this arrangement?

2.Since I will be entering in September but do not intend staying there, I will not be carrying all my belongings. I will be shifting my residence next year so will I need to inform the officers at the POE of my intention?

3. I haven’t decided on the items that I will bring with me next year, do I still need to list them?

4.Will I need to pay customs on my household/ electronic items when I move next year?

5.Should I apply for the SIN card as soon as I enter even though I will not be staying there? How long will it take?

Since I am doing this as an individual and my home country is far off, returning to Canada for any problems will not be feasible (and quite expensive!!!). I would really appreciate any insight, advice or suggestions from fellow members

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Schmutz said:
I recently received my immigration visa in the FSW category which is valid till March ‘11. However, I do not intend to move to Canada immediately. I plan to live in my home country for the next year for personal reasons. I will be making my entry into Canada at Vancouver in September '10. I have a few queries regarding some issues and would be really grateful if someone could shed some light on them.

1. I will be staying with family friends when I enter and will give their address at the POE. Does that mean I will need to be there till the permanent residence card arrives? I see that there is a possibility that it might take longer than 30 days for the card to arrive (which would definitely means I'd be over staying my welcome!!!). Can my friends collect the card on my behalf and courier it to me instead? Will I need to provide them (my friends) with some sort of authorization letter??? Has anyone faced any problems with this arrangement?

2.Since I will be entering in September but do not intend staying there, I will not be carrying all my belongings. I will be shifting my residence next year so will I need to inform the officers at the POE of my intention?

3. I haven't decided on the items that I will bring with me next year, do I still need to list them?

4.Will I need to pay customs on my household/ electronic items when I move next year?

5.Should I apply for the SIN card as soon as I enter even though I will not be staying there? How long will it take?

Since I am doing this as an individual and my home country is far off, returning to Canada for any problems will not be feasible (and quite expensive!!!). I would really appreciate any insight, advice or suggestions from fellow members
1. No, your relatives can mail/courier the PR card when it arrives. No authorization needed.
2. No, you don't have to tell the IO your intentions unless asked.
3. You need the goods in possession list and goods to follow list. You get one chance to import your goods taxes and duty free. You can subtract things from the GTF, but can't add any.
4. See 3
5. Services Canada will issue you a SINumber immediately, the card will follow in a couple of weeks.