+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Process - Flag Pole

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Hello All,

I am a Canadian PR. I was in US and moved to Canada along with my family. I have sponsored my son (US citizen) afetr coming to Canada. My son became PR during 2008.

When I received my son's PR, I called to CIC call center. One of the officer on the phone told me that, I can do "Flag Pole" at US border and enter into canada for my son's landing. I don't need US visa for this option.

So I went to US border as it was 10 minutes drive from my home. US border officer asked me where is the visa? I have explained the officer about "Flag Pole" and my reason for coming to the border etc... He was not happy. He sent me inside the office, they took picture, finger prints etc.. and sent me back to Canada.

At Canadian border, office took the paper which was on my car wind shield. I told about "Flag pole", they said it is fine. No issues.

My question.

1. What I did (Flag pole) procedure, is it really present?
2. Will this cause any issue when I apply for Canadian citizenship?
3. When I apply for US VISIT visa, will there be any problem?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
IBM said:
Hello All,

I am a Canadian PR. I was in US and moved to Canada along with my family. I have sponsored my son (US citizen) afetr coming to Canada. My son became PR during 2008.

When I received my son's PR, I called to CIC call center. One of the officer on the phone told me that, I can do "Flag Pole" at US border and enter into canada for my son's landing. I don't need US visa for this option.

So I went to US border as it was 10 minutes drive from my home. US border officer asked me where is the visa? I have explained the officer about "Flag Pole" and my reason for coming to the border etc... He was not happy. He sent me inside the office, they took picture, finger prints etc.. and sent me back to Canada.

At Canadian border, office took the paper which was on my car wind shield. I told about "Flag pole", they said it is fine. No issues.

My question.

"Flag poling" has been done by people who are already in Canada and need to get their WPs, COPRs from a port of entry (normally the border closest to where they are. I just don't know the procedure if you cross the US border without a US visa (for those whose countries need visa to enter the US). I think another forum member, Karlshammar, calls it administrative refusal, and should not be an issue should you apply for a US visit visa later.

Just curious, if it was your son making the landing, why were you the one who went to the border? Or did you just accompany your son?

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
job_seeker said:
Just curious, if it was your son making the landing, why were you the one who went to the border? Or did you just accompany your son?
Thanks for the response.

My son is 4 years old. So I went with him for his landing.

Reactions: pulkitkumar190

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
IBM said:
I did my landing on late November/2009 and no picture, no fingerprinting... Plus they - the American officials - were really nice. I had to go inside the office though. Explained again we were there for a flag-pole, and they gave me a paper stating that my "refused admission" reason was flag-pole. :) Went back to the Canadian side and did my landing. I did not have a valid US visa, and am not from a visa-exempt country.

IBM said:
My question.

You should have no problems because of this refusal. And, in fact, I had my US visitor visa approved 10 days after the flag-pole. I posted my experience at the US Consulate in this thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/travel-nonimmigrant-visa-to-usa-for-canadian-permanent-resident-t31768.0.html;msg194588#msg194588

I have already traveled to US this year (Jan./Feb.) and had no problems at all.

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Miryam said:
I did not have a valid US visa, and am not from a visa-exempt country.

You should have no problems because of this refusal. And, in fact, I had my US visitor visa approved 10 days after the flag-pole.
I have already traveled to US this year (Jan./Feb.) and had no problems at all.
I am planning apply for US visit visa. I have one question.

Miryam, When you applied for US visa, did you mention on your application that your entry was rejected OR flag-pole details such as US border name, date etc...? Please update, it will be helpful information for me.

Thank you!

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
IBM said:
I am planning apply for US visit visa. I have one question.

Miryam, When you applied for US visa, did you mention on your application that your entry was rejected OR flag-pole details such as US border name, date etc...? Please update, it will be helpful information for me.

Thank you!
Sorry for the late reply, IBM.

In the form they ask if I have had a refused admission into the US and since in my "Notice of Refusal of Admission/Parole into the United States" it does not state that I was refused, I chose "No". They (American officials) wrote a third option by hand stating "Flagpole" - none of the "refused admission" options were marked.

At the interview, they had all the information about me, every single detail about my landing and much more (since I had a US visa in 2007). When they were checking the papers to see if I had all the necessary documents, one of the people there wrote in my form that I was a "FC1" (family class - spouse), PR since November 27th. :) If the American officials had chosen another option, and stated that I did have my admission refused into the US, I would chose "Yes" and explain everything to the person interviewing me if they asked.

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Miryam said:
Sorry for the late reply, IBM.

In the form they ask if I have had a refused admission into the US and since in my "Notice of Refusal of Admission/Parole into the United States" it does not state that I was refused, I chose "No". They (American officials) wrote a third option by hand stating "Flagpole" - none of the "refused admission" options were marked.
Miryam,

Thank you very much. Now, I have few questions.

1. What is "Notice of Refusal of Admission/Parole into the United States" ? Can you please explain? At border, they gave me paper (Attched on car windshield). I did not checked that paper. I should have! So should I write YES in refusal question on my US visa application?

2. I worked in US for 8 years on H1 B visa and no issues with entry/visa. So I guess I will get US visit visa, correct?

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
IBM said:
1. What is "Notice of Refusal of Admission/Parole into the United States" ? Can you please explain? At border, they gave me paper (Attched on car windshield). I did not checked that paper. I should have! So should I write YES in refusal question on my US visa application?
They give an orange paper (to be attached to the car) and a white paper to be taken back to the Canadian officials. I did not read what was in the orange one, but I did read what they wrote in the white one. This white paper is the "Notice of Refusal of Admission/Parole into the United States" and there they list the reason(s) why the person had a rejected entry into the US. There are two options: "Subject: the alien(s) named below has (have) been: ( ) Refused admission into the United States; ( ) Refused admission and paroled into the United States". In my case, they did not mark any of these and wrote a third option ("Flag-pole"). The same was written in the reason.

I would say "Yes" on the application and explain to the person interviewing you.

IBM said:
2. I worked in US for 8 years on H1 B visa and no issues with entry/visa. So I guess I will get US visit visa, correct?
I believe you would have no problems getting it. Good luck. :)

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a question about "Flagpole"

"Flag Pole" generally applies to persons crossing the border by car for the purpose to immediately return to Canadian border? Is this correct?

I thought "Flag Pole" referenced to people in Canada that (in most cases) cross the border to the States for a short period of time, then re-enter Canada in order to extend the allowed six month visitor status? Is this correct? And is it ok by Canadian IO. Or does the none immigrant just taking there chance that they will be allowed back in Canada?

However it seems in this case. "Flag Pole" refers to someone not allowed to go to the States, and is immediately sent back to Canada for the purpose of re-entering Canada and and going through Customs for immigration and documented landing? Is this correct?

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
sogwap said:
I have a question about "Flagpole"

"Flag Pole" generally applies to persons crossing the border by car for the purpose to immediately return to Canadian border? Is this correct?

I thought "Flag Pole" referenced to people in Canada that (in most cases) cross the border to the States for a short period of time, then re-enter Canada in order to extend the allowed six month visitor status? Is this correct? And is it ok by Canadian IO. Or does the none immigrant just taking there chance that they will be allowed back in Canada?

However it seems in this case. "Flag Pole" refers to someone not allowed to go to the States, and is immediately sent back to Canada for the purpose of re-entering Canada and and going through Customs for immigration and documented landing? Is this correct?

Yes...flagpole means that a person crosses over the Canadian/USA border.....arrives in the USA....tells the USA IO that they are flag poling....gets turned around and is able to re enter Canada and sort out any Immigration Documents needed.

This can only be done if you are from a visa exempt Country...mainly used for gaining Temp work visa's or Temp resident visa's.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

angelbrat said:
Yes...flagpole means that a person crosses over the Canadian/USA border.....arrives in the USA....tells the USA IO that they are flag poling....gets turned around and is able to re enter Canada and sort out any Immigration Documents needed.

This can only be done if you are from a visa exempt Country...mainly used for gaining Temp work visa's or Temp resident visa's.
1. Flagpole is when you approach the US office, inform them that your intention is to immediately return to Canada to "land" whatever. They will issue you a rejection letter which you present when you return to Canada customs. The letter doesn't effect future US entries. No you don't have to be from a visa exempt country to do it for "landing"

fj9292

Apr 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 7 2010
AOR Received.
1st AOR Mar 8 2010- 2nd AOR May 3 2010
File Transfer...
Mar 18 2010
I have a question.... Do you need a US visa, when you are a Canadian PR??? Because i think you don't need a Canadian visa when you are a US green card holder??

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

1. Flagpole is when you approach the US office, inform them that your intention is to immediately return to Canada to "land" whatever. They will issue you a rejection letter which you present when you return to Canada customs. The letter doesn't effect future US entries. No you don't have to be from a visa exempt country to do it for "landing"
Thaqnk you PMM....I did not realiuse this....CIC at the time told me only visa exempt country nationals could do this. I appreciare the added information....with respect