+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada next weekend but anxious more about US immigration

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016
Hi All -
I am on H1B, and got COPR few months back.
I plan to do 'landing' this coming weekend in Toronto airport (YYZ - PEARSON).
Planning to fly to Toronto (and then connecting flight to Ottawa) on Sunday and fly back to US on Monday.

Now - Although I am a little nervous about the landing process, but I am probably more anxious about immigration when coming back to US.. :)
Since I am coming back to US the very next day, is there something I should keep in mind when doing immigration in US.. ?
Generally - the immigration officer would ask on the reason of your travel.. and I am just planning to say that I went to Canada to get my PR...(but of course I would not have got my PR at that point) and I am not sure if it will make sense to the immigration officer...or what counter question she or he could ask me?
Or should I just say that I went to take 2 days vacation?...

Please advise on anything I should keep in mind when landing back to US..

Thanks very much.!!

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hi All -
I am on H1B, and got COPR few months back.
I plan to do 'landing' this coming weekend in Toronto airport (YYZ - PEARSON).
Planning to fly to Toronto (and then connecting flight to Ottawa) on Sunday and fly back to US on Monday.

Now - Although I am a little nervous about the landing process, but I am probably more anxious about immigration when coming back to US.. :)
Since I am coming back to US the very next day, is there something I should keep in mind when doing immigration in US.. ?
Generally - the immigration officer would ask on the reason of your travel.. and I am just planning to say that I went to Canada to get my PR...(but of course I would not have got my PR at that point) and I am not sure if it will make sense to the immigration officer...or what counter question she or he could ask me?
Or should I just say that I went to take 2 days vacation?...

Please advise on anything I should keep in mind when landing back to US..

Thanks very much.!!
I am on L1 and I was on Canadian soil for landing for just an hour before I returned back to USA via Car. It's safer to be truthful and mention that you were in Canada just to finish PR landing formalities.

Also check this thread:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/l1b-visa-want-to-do-short-landing-need-advice.533647/#post-6586814

Reactions: bluesaffron

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I was equally anxious about US immigration too than about Canadian (entering as PR vs visa brings that difference :)). I had similar questions like you in my mind on what do I say if asked about purpose of the trip, why short trip etc. But there is nothing you could do about that.

And there is not even an iota chance to cook some story for your visit because they will put "Immigrant" stamp in your passport after you do the landing. And US officers see tons of such cases daily too. So just say you came to complete landing formalities as PR. Returning back in one hour or two days won't make any difference as both would be 'short trips' any ways. At least you could save on your hotel by returning back sooner.

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016
I am on L1 and I was on Canadian soil for landing for just an hour before I returned back to USA via Car. It's safer to be truthful and mention that you were in Canada just to finish PR landing formalities.

Also check this thread:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/l1b-visa-want-to-do-short-landing-need-advice.533647/#post-6586814
Thanks APPNOV2014NY for a prompt reply!
I scanned through the link you shared.. (and the link inside that thread) as well.
Few questions on the info you pasted there, if you could please reply...

1. One of the documents you mentioned you carried was 'I-94'. A bit confused on that because I-94 is all electronic/online now.. unless you are talking about the I-94 which is attached to the approved petition..(e.g. 1797 in case of H1b) .. or you took a printout of I-94 from uscis website?
2. you mentioned 'CSQ' - I think this pertains to immigration via Quebec ... so might not apply to me...(as I applied via express entry without province nomination).. but please correct me if I am wrong.
3. Where to get the rprf receipt?... Is this the same receipt (1040 CAD) which I got when I first submitted my express profile (along with the first payment)?
I just downloaded it from my profile...and assuming that is the receipt you are talking about...
4. On that note.. is there some other kind of fee which we need to pay on landing?... I do not think so.. but if there is a fee.. can it be paid via credit card.. or should I probably carry some cash and how much?

Thanks much !!

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016
I was equally anxious about US immigration too than about Canadian (entering as PR vs visa brings that difference :)). I had similar questions like you in my mind on what do I say if asked about purpose of the trip, why short trip etc. But there is nothing you could do about that.

And there is not even an iota chance to cook some story for your visit because they will put "Immigrant" stamp in your passport after you do the landing. And US officers see tons of such cases daily too. So just say you came to complete landing formalities as PR. Returning back in one hour or two days won't make any difference as both would be 'short trips' any ways. At least you could save on your hotel by returning back sooner.
Agreed...and Got it!..
Thanks DEEPCUR!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I scanned through the link you shared.. (and the link inside that thread) as well.

1. One of the documents you mentioned you carried was 'I-94'. A bit confused on that because I-94 is all electronic/online now.. unless you are talking about the I-94 which is attached to the approved petition..(e.g. 1797 in case of H1b) .. or you took a printout of I-94 from uscis website?
2. you mentioned 'CSQ' - I think this pertains to immigration via Quebec ... so might not apply to me...(as I applied via express entry without province nomination).. but please correct me if I am wrong.
3. Where to get the rprf receipt?... Is this the same receipt (1040 CAD) which I got when I first submitted my express profile (along with the first payment)?
I just downloaded it from my profile...and assuming that is the receipt you are talking about...
4. On that note.. is there some other kind of fee which we need to pay on landing?... I do not think so.. but if there is a fee.. can it be paid via credit card.. or should I probably carry some cash and how much?

Thanks much !!

No need to pay anything. RPRF receipt not required too.

You need COPR + PP + GTA + GTF + Car titles if you are declaring car + Address of a friend + Proof of funds.. six month bank statement or online statement or anything you have recent.

Here is the official link for what you need: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/prepare-life-canada/border-entry.html

Only whatever mentioned as essential documents are required, nothing else.

Proof of funds are not mentioned, but there have been cases where people have been asked for that during landing. So better to have that.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014

Thanks much !!
1. I took print out of electronic copy from USCIS website.
2. You are right. CSQ is only specific to QSW stream.
3. Yes. Same receipt.
4. I was not asked to pay any fees during landing.

Reactions: bluesaffron

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014

You need COPR + PP + GTA + GTF + Car titles if you are declaring car + Address of a friend + Proof of funds.. six month bank statement or online statement or anything you have recent.

Here is the official link for what you need: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/prepare-life-canada/border-entry.html

Proof of funds are not mentioned, but there have been cases where people have been asked for that during landing. So better to have that.
I went through several landing experiences and one of the guys was asked to show RPRF receipt.

Proof of funds is definitely required. I read a landing experience where landing was not allowed as applicant was not carrying proof of funds. Another had to use mobile to show bank statements to prove that he had sufficient funds for settlement. I was asked to show proof of funds.

Reactions: DEEPCUR

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016
I went through several landing experiences and one of the guys was asked to show RPRF receipt.

Proof of funds is definitely required. I read a landing experience where landing was not allowed as applicant was not carrying proof of funds. Another had to use mobile to show bank statements to prove that he had sufficient funds for settlement. I was asked to show proof of funds.
I see.. thanks again for your prompt reply!
Curious.. when do you plan to finally move to Canada..?

bluesaffron

Star Member
Nov 20, 2016

Ok, thanks DEEPCUR!

(To be honest.. I have just started researching on GTA/GTF.. and was not aware of Car title stuff etc... as this would apply to me..
I have various questions regarding that.. but will research more before I push my questions to the forum without doing my part..)

Thanks again!