+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing in Canada and PR card

kclaudiu

Feb 19, 2010
Hi,
My name is Claudiu and few months back I’ve received my *Confirmation of Permanent Residence* for Canada, in which it’s mentioned that my destination in Canada is Calgary, Alberta. Along with it I have received also a onetime entry visa for Canada that expires in July 2010 which means that I have to enter Canada before that date. Presently I work and reside in Europe and have no intention of moving permanently to Canada within the next months or maybe not even before the end of the year. My intention is to get into Canada, stay for few weeks (depending on how many I can take off from my job) and after that get back to my present residence in Europe.
From my understanding, after one has landed in Canada and intends to leave (travel outside) Canada (like my case) first must obtain a permanent resident card (PRC) that will allow him/her to go out and come back into Canada without any worries. I have looked on the internet and found out that the process of obtaining such a card can last from 30 days to more than 6 weeks in some cases, time that I believe I might not have at my disposal.
Based on the above I would like to ask some question hoping that someone could give me answers that could help me taking decisions
Code:
Is it mandatory to land in your destination city (in my case Calgary) or could one land and settle (at least at the beginning) in a different city and obtain his/her PRC in this new location? The reason I’m asking is that I have friends in a different city that could help me out at the beginning.
Code:
If my time would not allow me to stay in Canada until I personally receive a PRC, it would be possible to leave Canada, later obtain my PRC on my friends address and have my friends mail my PRC to me in Europe so that I could use it next time I intend to get into Canada?
Code:
Does anyone have any knowledge about the PRC processing time, if it is different from what I mentioned above or if there is any way to obtain a PRC in a much shorter time?
Code:
Thank you very much
Claudiu

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
Is it mandatory to land in your destination city (in my case Calgary) or could one land and settle (at least at the beginning) in a different city and obtain his/her PRC in this new location? The reason I'm asking is that I have friends in a different city that could help me out at the beginning.
No, it is not mandatory to land in Calgary. You will land in your first Canadian stop. For example, you booked a flight ticket transits in Toronto, and to then Calgary, you will actually do the landing in Toronto airport.

If my time would not allow me to stay in Canada until I personally receive a PRC, it would be possible to leave Canada, later obtain my PRC on my friends address and have my friends mail my PRC to me in Europe so that I could use it next time I intend to get into Canada?
Yes, you can provide friend's address. The PR Card will be mailed to your friend's address, and then you can ask your friend to mail it to you.

Does anyone have any knowledge about the PRC processing time, if it is different from what I mentioned above or if there is any way to obtain a PRC in a much shorter time?
According to CIC website, it is 30 days. You cannot request for this to be expedited.

olancanada

Sep 23, 2009
Hello, imigrate, can i do the same? My destination is Montreal Quebec but in my COPR its Toronto Ontario. Can i also do transit? Please advise.

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
yes you can. You can land say in Toronto, and provide Montreal address (if known) for them to send your PR card.

kclaudiu

Feb 19, 2010
There have been some small changes in my plans during the last few days thus I would appreciate if one could clarify a small issue related to my prior first question:

Is it possible for example to land in Montreal, apply for my PRC in Montreal (my friends live there & I will use their address), stay in Montreal for max 2 weeks and after that leave Canada WITHOUT EVEN GETTING TO CALGARY (my CoPR city)?

My friends will mail me my PR card afterwards.
My first intention was to stay in Canada for about 3 to 4 weeks max, first land in Montreal (so that I could use my friends address), stay at my friend’s for 1 week, go to Calgary and after that leave Canada.
Thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kclaudiu said:
There have been some small changes in my plans during the last few days thus I would appreciate if one could clarify a small issue related to my prior first question:

Is it possible for example to land in Montreal, apply for my PRC in Montreal (my friends live there & I will use their address), stay in Montreal for max 2 weeks and after that leave Canada WITHOUT EVEN GETTING TO CALGARY (my CoPR city)?

My friends will mail me my PR card afterwards.
My first intention was to stay in Canada for about 3 to 4 weeks max, first land in Montreal (so that I could use my friends address), stay at my friend's for 1 week, go to Calgary and after that leave Canada.
Thank you
Without a CSQ you CAN'T land in Quebec, you will just create problems for yourself. "land" in Ottawa and then visit Quebec.

PMM