+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

landing - importing personal possessions

gozer

Jul 9, 2008
When we enter Canada, I will be the only person "landing". My spouse/sponsor and our children will be returning citizens (absent over 5 years). Will our truckload of possessions need to be declared as belonging to specific individuals? If so, does it make a difference who is the declared owner (immigrant vs. returning citizens) for any possible duty owed?

I read we have to declare whether we are traveling with money in excess of $10,000. What does this trigger?

And what if our money is in a US account, not traveling with us, but we plan to wire it to a Canadian account later. Is there anything Customs needs to be involved with?

thanks.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Your goods should be exempt from duty and/or tax as the possessions of a settler. You need to prepare a B1 form and present it when you land. Your family's goods should be exempt as the possessions of returning citizens with some possible exceptions. Everything should be used prior to landing to qualify for exemption. Do not cross the border with $10,000 in cash or equivalent instruments without reporting it to both US and Canadian customs. Criminal penalties may result. Ask at the bank what the requirements are if you are going to send the funds via wire.

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
In this page you would find very helpful information about importing goods for people intending to settle in Canada
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4151-eng.html#P001

You would also find a link there for returning or former Canadian residents.

john5655

Jan 25, 2009
don't worry about bank transfers, you can move as much money as you've got whenever you want, no problem

the banks will automatically report large transfers to police, but you have no cause for concern on this

that, and the cash on landing thing, is part of international efforts to combat money laundering