+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

landing & importing a BRAND NEW car from US

Goggle

Jan 19, 2007
Hi all !!

Seems many people are thinking of importing a car. :) But I have a Q about the new car. Thank you in advance...

A new immigrant will be exempted the tax burden (or tariff, duty...? The federal tax or the province tax? I haven't worked it out so far...) for all her personal articles that she owned and used before landing. Is there any requirement regarding how long she owned and used? I mean whether it would be a problem if I purchase a new car right before landing and import it into Canada immediately??

Any comments and suggestion are greatly appreciated!! Nice day!!

Goggle

Jan 19, 2007
Thank you very much for your prompt post, which is very useful. Actually, I cannot get any info regarding this matter from almost everywhere... :), so would you please tell me the authority of this regulation, any links, website? I'd like to know more.

Again, thank you very much!!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Most of what's required is available on the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) website.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4151-eng.html#P002

You should also contact Transport Canada, as vehicles that pass U.S. inspection guidelines don't necessarily pass Canadian guidelines.
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Note that among the requirements are your need to own, possess and use the vehicle "for some time" before arriving in Canada. The instructions indicate you must be able to legally drive the vehicle, which means you must have had it registered and insured in your home country, and you must have a valid license to drive it. You also may not sell the car within 12 months of landing or you will owe duties.

The 6 month time period is actually for former residents returning to Canada. But it's probably a pretty good guideline as far as what would be convincing to CBSA that you've used the vehicle "for some time."